Aztec Carpintis and Female FH

Cichlid_lover_Mason

Feeder Fish
Sep 29, 2016
Hi, I have a quick question. So I have a 6in female Flowerhorn that lays eggs non-stop alone in her tank. I'm thinking about getting her a Male Aztec Carpintis....will they breed? Also will I have to put a divider up even though it's not a male Flowerhorn?

Big_guava_cichlids

Feeder Fish
Dec 9, 2016
A flowerhorn can definitely breed with a Carpintis! Though keep in mind an aztec(jaguar) cichlid and a Carpintis are two different types of fish. Both Carpintis and flowerhorn are both very aggressive fish so definitely have a divider handy.

Cichlasomasteve

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
A flowerhorn can definitely breed with a Carpintis! Though keep in mind an aztec(jaguar) cichlid and a Carpintis are two different types of fish. Both Carpintis and flowerhorn are both very aggressive fish so definitely have a divider handy.
An Aztec cichlid is a jagur cichlid I didn't know that interesting.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
It is very possible for a FH and Carpintis cichlid to breed. Just keep in mind that just simply putting a male and female fish in a tank together does not, in any way, guarantee they will get along - let alone spawn together. Definitely have a divider of some sort handy for first introduction, I wouldn't recommend introducing them by just dropping a Carpintis (or any male, for that matter) right in to her tank

An Aztec cichlid is a jagur cichlid I didn't know that interesting.
I've been seeing "Aztec Carpintis' " a lot on here lately, and one OP got extremely defensive when he was asked if his fish was a hybrid. He couldn't understand why everyone was asking it, and frankly was rather rude about it when many of us attempted to explain it to him...

But apparently, someone on aquabid bred his own "line/strain" of Carpintis and named them as "Aztecs". Aztec is a common name for Parachromis Managuensis, but it's not used nearly as often as the common name "Jaguar cichlid".

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Jsnake

Feeder Fish
Apr 25, 2018
I have 5 Green Texas, 1 Thai Green Texas, and 2 "Aztec" Carpintis. Here are a couple of pics of the larger and lighter colored blue "Aztec" I have had for about a year. Can anyone tell me where I can find another one of these (need a female) to breed with my hyper aggressive male? These are super uncommon in Alaska, and I love the large blue scales over the green of the Green Texas. I'm new to the page and love the commentary feedback on the threads so any info is appreciated. 4-25-2018 2504.jpg 4-25-2018 2501.jpg Thanks!

Reactions: AKBlueJacks

AKBlueJacks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
USA
Alaska Coral and Fish in Anchorage had a tank full of fish in their store rather recently labeled as Aztec Carpintis (a few months ago). They were small, but already had some very nice color. If you talk to them, they might be able to help.

Reactions: Jsnake

Jsnake

Feeder Fish
Apr 25, 2018
Alaska Coral and Fish in Anchorage had a tank full of fish in their store rather recently labeled as Aztec Carpintis (a few months ago). They were small, but already had some very nice color. If you talk to them, they might be able to help.
That is when I bought my smaller, darker blue juvenile. They are all gone now. I'm trying to find the variation with larger, lighter blue pearl scales like the guy in the pics above. FYI, I bought the large male as a 1 inch from AK Fish and Coral last year, but every order they have had since has been the more common darker blue with smaller pearls. I go in every week to check their fresh stock. :) Thanks though!

Craigster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2019
Just joined so surfing some stuff and googled electric Blue Carpintis .Ended up on this thread and was wondering as i am looking at getting some are these not Herichthys Carpintis rio hondo ? Not Jags

AKBlueJacks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
USA
Some breeders like to come up with their own name for the line they breed. I have seen both Electric Blue Carpintis as well as Aztec Carpintis used. This frequently brings up discussions about the possibility of being hybrids. I have a Rio Hondo and that term indicates it’s collection point. If someone is using Rio Hondo, it should indicate pure Carpintis originating from that collection point.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store