Bettas as pets? Never had one...mini tank for my son

JoeBoxer

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2012
Canada
Last quick question....will 30 guppy fry be okay in a 10 gallon tank for the next two months?

Dont mind losing one or two here or there...thats why Im picking up so many....and theyre practically free...

I decided on getting my son a 29 gallon and I dont really want to set it up until weve moved to the new house (end of Sept)

Let me know!

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Guppies are beyond easy to care for, and the only thing I ever did for the fry is crush flakes into fine powder, none of my guppy parents ever seemed to eat the fry as far as I could tell

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I heard an interview with the founder/creator of "Glo Fish" He was stating that they genetically engineered them by splicing their DNA with Coral DNA- giving the glow effect. It was on a really old podcast that I really had to dig in the deep trenches of the internet to find though so, take it for what its' worth.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ there are two ways of doing it, one is the old torturous method of tattooing the fish, and the other is by playing god and splicing different animals DNA togetherto get the desired effect...

Eitherway imo, both are wrong...

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Flo fish are genetically modified specimens. You see them at petsmart Walmart petco and are man made. They use some dye in them or something to get that type of glow effect
I heard an interview with the founder/creator of "Glo Fish" He was stating that they genetically engineered them by splicing their DNA with Coral DNA- giving the glow effect. It was on a really old podcast that I really had to dig in the deep trenches of the internet to find though so, take it for what its' worth.

^ there are two ways of doing it, one is the old torturous method of tattooing the fish, and the other is by playing god and splicing different animals DNA togetherto get the desired effect...

Last time I read up on it, it was a mix of coral DNA, and jellyfish DNA that they splice into the fish and get the never fading glowing effect. Honestly I'd rather them play omnipresent being and genetically enhance the fish vs. dye them...

supposedly even the young of these fish come out neon colored too lol.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I also seen them nip him once or twice
Just anything peaceful and not likely to nip is what you want as tank mates if you get a betta. :)
Hello; KK hit a major thing to consider with bettas. They swim much slower than many other fish and have those long trailing fins. Other fish are tempted to take a nip. After a while the bettas ins get tattered. The fins will usually heal but not be as pretty as before.

And what is a glo fish....?
Hello; already answered.
and the other is by playing god and splicing different animals DNA togetherto get the desired effect...

Hello; If gene splicing turns out to be a good idea in the long run remains to be seen but I do not see it as playing god. Still too early in the game to know if there will be some bad outcomes but the potential for good outcomes seems great. We (people) have been modifying genes thru selective breeding for a long time. The long finned male betta of this thread being an example of the old fashioned method. Gene splicing is fairly new as an applied technology but, in my opinion, not wrong to use.

Back to the betta tank. Back when I was 11 or 12 I got a small tank. Among my first fish was a betta. I found it fascinating. They do pretty much need to be alone or with tank mates selected with some thought about the nipping. Cory cats are fine. If the water surface is calm the male will build a bubble nest. Throw some snails in a betta tank and watch him stalk them. I had some mystery snails (that is what they were called) and would watch my betta stalk and nip them. Have a small mirror to place on the glass from time to time and watch them flair their fins. At boy scout camp for a merit badge I wrote a short essay about bettas as they were a favorite fish for a time.

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ Since im sure niether of us want to derail the thread (re DNA splicing) i guess we will have to respectfully agree to disagree :)

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I'm ok with recombinant dna in most cases, but tattooing is another matter as it harms the fish. U must also note that all wheat varieties are genetically engineered( by accident), think of that next time u eat a sandwich

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
My friends Berta lives in a community tank with black window tetras, guppies, a face,a glo lite tetra and a couple other fish, they all get along

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store