Media in return chamber?

j-lor

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2007
Milwaukee
Just wondering if it would be beneficial to add extra media in a sump return chamber? Thx for any infos.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
As in the chamber where the submersible pump typically is? Depending in what media you are using, I would be cautious the pump didn't get jam by the media. Personally I wouldn't do it especially if you think what you have is sufficient. is there a reason why you want to add more than what you have in the sump?

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
i think if pump wont suck up the media i would use that chamber also. my return pump chamber i have a big lava rock so all my heaters are holding in a 15degree angle..i can add more media into the chamber if i like since it's a big area

j-lor

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2007
Milwaukee
I have two marble rays that poop a lot but Its was too much of a headache so i didn't do it.

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
if the area is big enough add large lava rocks.. i dont know what you have for your sump so it's hard to say anything.... take a look at my signature.. it has a link to my sump link.. hope this solve some of the problems... i have a breeding pair of marbles too and it's keeping up with them..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store