Strange Bulge on Albino Bichir

hallje5

Feeder Fish
Sep 29, 2016
Hi Everyone,
I have a one year old Albino Bichir in a planted aquarium. He developed a small bulge on his right side a few months ago. It stayed about the same size and color until now. Recently, its turned dark purple-red and gotten HUGE! He doesn't seem to mind, still very active although, learning he isn't as trim as he used to be is proving difficult. He's still active and eating well but the bulge looks awfully painful to me! Any suggestions?

LA1.jpg

LA2.jpg

LA3.jpg

LA4.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks tumor like more than infection vs bloat. Surprised it acting normal. See what the others say not sure.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Tumor, possibly cancerous?it could also be an infection, have U posted this in the polypterus section yet?

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I feel like I have seen a lot of strange growths on albino senegals. Looking at it I would guess a tumor but still could be an abscess but I think less likely given the time line.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I'd lean towards tumor as well. Doesn't look like fluid or a lung infection.

BritWhitis

Feeder Fish
Apr 13, 2022
Did you ever figure out what this was OP? My Bichir is going through something similar, and I’m worried about the outcome and overall health of my poor bichir.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Did you ever figure out what this was OP? My Bichir is going through something similar, and I’m worried about the outcome and overall health of my poor bichir.
Welcome aboard

The albino Senegal probably passed since that post 6 years ago. I personally haven't seen the OP on the forum since that post.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store