Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like a different fish there.

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
First photo look like a washed out sen like what i had before when they were small and white sand, second photo look mire like a platinum sen.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I'm leaning towards platinum as well. Time will tell though. Try a different substrate wait a week

SlukBunWalla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
Thanks for the input. He's currently on brown/tan natural colored gravel, and that hasn't affected his color, or lack thereof. No hint or sign of red in the eyes either. I honestly think it's a platinum, but the chances of me getting that lucky seem slim. hehe

If it is indeed a platinum I'd just as soon sell it, as they aren't a species I'm super in to (I breed angels and rams, and do reef tanks). He would be better appreciated in someone else's tank than mine...

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
So what is the difference between a platinum and a leucistic or are they the same ?
Nice little guy.
I have 5 just like this
4 are very white indeed and one is more of an off white almost lemon colour

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Rghfor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2015
I'm calling platinum . White eyes and seems to lack any other black pigment

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
So what is the difference between a platinum and a leucistic or are they the same ?
I want to say they typically are synonymous in the aquarium industry...but I could be wrong. Someone please confirm.

Technically:
Albanism= loss of melanin. white or yellow. pale eyes(typically red or pink).
Leucistic= partial loss of pigment. white or patchy. eyes unaffected.

most platinums are leucistic. solid white, but eye color unaffected. But I don't think all leucistics are platinums... if they are patchy instead of solid white, not sure if they are considered platinum. It takes a lot of breeding to get them solid white. I think it's like a square is a rectangle, but a rectangle isn't a square. Just my guess :confused:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Both the same to me. Both are due to a reduction in color. The main difference would be platinum would've been bred to the color seen. Induced by people. The leucistic fish would occur randomly and not man made. That's my interpretation of it.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Both the same to me. Both are due to a reduction in color. The main difference would be platinum would've been bred to the color seen. Induced by people. The leucistic fish would occur randomly and not man made. That's my interpretation of it.
agreed! Nice definition :]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store