Pregnant histrix, finally

Proximus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
Norway
Hi,

Finally my oldest histrix is pregnant! The male is the one close to her on the picture.
I can see a lot of movement in periods during the day (specially in the evening and night, for some reason). I just tried to make a clip to add in this post, but at the time i was filming the babies barely moved at all. Ill post a clip as soon as i am able to capture the movement from the pups.

DSC_0003.JPG

Im planning on removing the pups when they are born, putting them in a 115 liter / 30 gallon aquarium with no lighs. And set the temperature to about 28 celsius / 82,4 fahrenheit. Feed them with frozen bloodworms, mysis, artemia, and maby some big daphnia. Water parameters will be as they are in the parents tank; pH 7, GH 1.
Sounds good?

To see this stingray pregnant is the biggest thing i have experienced in the aquarium hobby, since the day i bought her 6 years ago :) Im thrilled, and hope everything works out well.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Hi,

Finally my oldest histrix is pregnant! The male is the one close to her on the picture.
I can see a lot of movement in periods during the day (specially in the evening and night, for some reason). I just tried to make a clip to add in this post, but at the time i was filming the babies barely moved at all. Ill post a clip as soon as i am able to capture the movement from the pups.

View attachment 1206358

Im planning on removing the pups when they are born, putting them in a 115 liter / 30 gallon aquarium with no lighs. And set the temperature to about 28 celsius / 82,4 fahrenheit. Feed them with frozen bloodworms, mysis, artemia, and maby some big daphnia. Water parameters will be as they are in the parents tank; pH 7, GH 1.
Sounds good?

To see this stingray pregnant is the biggest thing i have experienced in the aquarium hobby, since the day i bought her 6 years ago :) Im thrilled, and hope everything works out well.
Congrats man!

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Congrats! Yes, that is the best hystrix. Any idea how long she has been pregnant?
I was wondering not too long ago if this ray was still around. Glad she is!

Proximus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
Norway
Hi, thank you.

I am not sure exactly. I had the tanks running on low gear during the summer months, meaning i fed less than usual, with food that have less fat/protein. Started feeding them on heavy loads of freshwater herring (Coregonus albula) again somewhere within the month of august.

So if i assume that this was the factor that did the trick, i can assume that she is around 45 days in her pregnancy, at best. But it could be that the male nailed her earlier of course.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store