Taking The Long Route - Help Please

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
On topic: According RD that bacteria in a bottle stuff can carry some nasty pathogens. There's a sticky or something around here about it.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Bahahahaha!!!!! That's gota be the funniest thing I've read all day! :D

Although just to be a buzz kill (of the educational kind) in most (or all, not sure exactly) aboriginal cultures the women aren't allowed to play the didgeridoo. Its a mans job to blow the wood ;)
damn no wonder everyone is up the duff over there (American meaning, not yours) haha

Reactions: Kittiee Katt

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
On topic: According RD that bacteria in a bottle stuff can carry some nasty pathogens. There's a sticky or something around here about it.
huh, never heard or experienced that. Ive cycled all of my tanks including my 310 with the stuff.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I believe I read that around the time I joined actually now that you mention it. :)

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
We have nitrate! I got a message about 10 minutes ago saying that the tube went a yellowy orange colour (I assume around 5ppm, she has an api kit) so its FINALLY doing something!

I took a handful of gravel from my goldfish tank the day after I posted this thread, I'm not sure if it was that or the lovely 17°c weather we've had this week but something's happening! Woot! :D

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Updates? Also since a civilization is measured by the weapons the average person can obtain, doesn't that mean your in the iron age;)

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Updates? Also since a civilization is measured by the weapons the average person can obtain, doesn't that mean your in the iron age;)
The pond is nearly fully cycled, I also (sorta) killed to birds with one stone; I was talking to my friend about my sister having to get rid of two of her goldfish (there were 4 6-7" goldfish crammed into an 80ltr), my friend asked if she could take them for her pond.

Unlike my sister, my friend realises that they can't live in a 250ltr pond forever, and hopes to build a larger pond into her yard for them...

So once the ammonia and nitrite were both below 0.50 we took two decent size goldfish from my mums to my mates and they're absolutely loving the extra room to swim. And plans for a bigger pond already being made.

I haven't heard from her for a few days so its probably fully cycled by now. I was planning to go around there tomorrow or Monday and check on them. :)

And I kind of agree with the second bit... Hahaha

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Nitrifying bacteria slow down as the temperature drops. They stop working at around 10 celsius. I always like to use aquatic plants when cycling a tank or pond. The plants are covered with nitrifying bacteria. In addition, the plants will use up any ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate in the water. Only problem is that it is hard to grow aquatic plants in the winter.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Nitrifying bacteria slow down as the temperature drops. They stop working at around 10 celsius. I always like to use aquatic plants when cycling a tank or pond. The plants are covered with nitrifying bacteria. In addition, the plants will use up any ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate in the water. Only problem is that it is hard to grow aquatic plants in the winter.
Does this mean that next winter she will need a heater or her bb will cark it and every spring the poor fish will have to go through a nitrogen cycle unless she gets a heater for it in winter?

Its also hard growing aquatic plants with goldfish, although I've found a few mine won't eat, I can't say the same for the two in the pond..

I guess I could try telling her to experiment with them and find out what they eat and what they don't, so on and so forth. She's taken quite the attachment to the two fish (previously named Bubbles and Star :eek: poor fish) so I might just be able to get her to buy them some plants.

I have some duckweed growing in a tiny tank on my window ledge that I'm planning to take around to her when its covered with a nice layer of healthy duckweed... But I doubt that would last long, especially since they've been eating flakes their entire lives.

I'll probably just end up taking the entire tank around for her to put somewhere sunny so then her goldfish can have a yummy snack here and there. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store