DIY 500 GALLON PLYWOOD BOTTOM

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
I'm pretty sure it will hold. There is a 80 gallon and a 300 gallon in the same room. Taking off the other tanks for this one.
Well 500 gallons full is around 4,000 pounds from what I have read plus filtration...I Would have a professional make sure it can hold it

wannadivesteve

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Oregon
Last night I googled second floor load pressure rating, or something along those lines, and surprisingly there were a bunch of aquarium conversations in the mix. I don't have the time to look it up, but there was one thread started by a structural engineer who set out to try to be informative as possible. It was quite interesting, the OP might want to try to find it. The biggest takeaway I got out of it was that the stress from weight on the floor can/will increase over time... just because a floor rated at 30-40 psi/sqft (apparently that is what residential floors are rated for, lots of considerations go into that number) can handle much more than that at any given time, over the course of time that stress continues to have more and more affect on the structure.

It might be worthwhile getting a structural engineer involved in this type of project to protect your investment (not just the tank).

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
two things terrify me here.

1. GE 1 silicone is not good for this type of use...maybe resealing a 10 or 20 gallon aquarium but beyond that it isn't rated to hold heavy loads like this. RTV 108 is what needs used here for sure.

2. As the entire site has said already...500 gallons on the second floor without sistering the joists or using a jack stand is playing with...a lot of water in this case.

Reactions: M@T!@$

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Last night I googled second floor load pressure rating, or something along those lines, and surprisingly there were a bunch of aquarium conversations in the mix. I don't have the time to look it up, but there was one thread started by a structural engineer who set out to try to be informative as possible. It was quite interesting, the OP might want to try to find it. The biggest takeaway I got out of it was that the stress from weight on the floor can/will increase over time... just because a floor rated at 30-40 psi/sqft (apparently that is what residential floors are rated for, lots of considerations go into that number) can handle much more than that at any given time, over the course of time that stress continues to have more and more affect on the structure.

It might be worthwhile getting a structural engineer involved in this type of project to protect your investment (not just the tank).

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article28.html

Is this the article?

kelz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2013
Brooklyn
Well 500 gallons full is around 4,000 pounds from what I have read plus filtration...I Would have a professional make sure it can hold it
Lol tank won't be full all the way only about 25-24 inches...

But I will keep that in mind. Like I said making it for a friend's. That's up to him.

kelz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2013
Brooklyn

Really true I'll talk to him

kelz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2013
Brooklyn
two things terrify me here.

1. GE 1 silicone is not good for this type of use...maybe resealing a 10 or 20 gallon aquarium but beyond that it isn't rated to hold heavy loads like this. RTV 108 is what needs used here for sure.

2. As the entire site has said already...500 gallons on the second floor without sistering the joists or using a jack stand is playing with...a lot of water in this case.

This is my build on my 600 gallon 8x4x30" I used the same silicon I'm using now. I used about 10-15 tubs of silicone and holds great haven't had any problems thank God.. so I can't say it's bad. Alot of people use this to for big builds too.

View attachment 20161012_214021.jpg

Reactions: predatorkeeper87
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store