Would this work

Rghfor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2015
I'm considering getting a vatf . The vatf is 3 inches and the grow out tank is 5x2x2. Would he survive with 2 1 foot long pearl geos, 3 red hooks and 2 6 inch pearl geos

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I don't know much about geos other than they're cichlids I believe lol I've kept cichlids that are supposed to be strictly herbivores like buttikoferi and certain specimens would eat little fish. So those 1' ones would worry me. You should also worry about there attitude, afaik geos aren't aggressive like other cichlids but nonetheless a little territorial, if that's not the case with your specimen I'd still worry for the vatf being intimidated and scared and instead of feeding and thriving he could be worried about running from the much larger geos. The red hooks and 6" ones I wouldn't worry bout however.

Rghfor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2015
I don't know much about geos other than they're cichlids I believe lol I've kept cichlids that are supposed to be strictly herbivores like buttikoferi and certain specimens would eat little fish. So those 1' ones would worry me. You should also worry about there attitude, afaik geos aren't aggressive like other cichlids but nonetheless a little territorial, if that's not the case with your specimen I'd still worry for the vatf being intimidated and scared and instead of feeding and thriving he could be worried about running from the much larger geos. The red hooks and 6" ones I wouldn't worry bout however.
Geos are omnivorous. My main worry was being intimated by them at feeding as they are quite heavy handed when eating

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Geos are omnivorous. My main worry was being intimated by them at feeding as they are quite heavy handed when eating
If you have a separate tank for him to grow out in a little more than go for it. But you should worry about him becoming a meal. As far as the above statement. Don't let that deter you. That's like saying characins and cats shouldn't be together or cats and cichlids shouldn't be together. Plenty of people do it and it works out. I've kept characins, maybe not as skittish, with cichlids. My odoe I have now was with some before. He used to beat on a similar length jaguar cichlid by using his speed to his advantage. People keep fish from different continents together all the time. Go for it if you wish. You know the risks it's just whether they're worth it to you.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
I have kept geos and they work out pretty well. BUT, they will eat fish that can fit into their mouths. Few years ago I had a community with datnoids and payaras geos and silver dollars and my predators weren't pellet trained. I used to feed them minnows and the geos would easily eat 3" minnows.

Rghfor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2015
I think I'll see if I can find a larger specimen and try it out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store