Sand and gravel substrate ?

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
I have a 90 that I'm transferring to a 150 and I wanted to put fine black sand that I was given. I don't know if I have enough sand for the whole tank is it bad to mix gravel with sand ?
I guess I'm worried that if I gravel vac when I syphon the sand will get pulled up what are your experiences ?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The sand will get lost in the gravel, usually to the tank bottom. You will need to vacuum the substrate differently to avoid sucking up the finer sand and losing it.

Why not just get more of the black sand?

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
The sand will get lost in the gravel, usually to the tank bottom. You will need to vacuum the substrate differently to avoid sucking up the finer sand and losing it.

Why not just get more of the black sand?
Okay I figured that would be the case, since I was buying the 150gal I thought I'd use what I had already. I guess I could just buy more black sand and it will look nicer too huh. How would I water change with sand? Since I can't syphon it out to get nasty poop and stuff from the bottom?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I use sand and gravel mix in my tanks.I just syphon as normal.You get a bit of sand come out into your bucket but not much.I just rinse it through and put it back.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
I use sand and gravel mix in my tanks.I just syphon as normal.You get a bit of sand come out into your bucket but not much.I just rinse it through and put it back.
Stan do you do 50/50 gravel and sand or do you more of one ? I'm going to try black sand with river like gravel along with my driftwood
I can deal with the putting the sand back after my water changes no biggie

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
i usually get some sand when i vacuum the substrate, there are a couple tricks to minimize it. some people crimp the hose to let the heavier stuff (sand) fall out while the lighter poop should fall more slowly and when the sand is out you uncrimp and it will suck up only what you want. i have found that if i hold the vacuum tube vertical it pulls a lot of sand up so i will tip it at a 35 degree angle and the sand falls to the bottom fairly quickly. if its a fine sand its unavoidable that you will suck up a bit every now and then. i used to be a big fan of sand and hated gravel, mostly because i kept geos and other small fish, but i'm starting to think i'm gonig to switch a couple tanks to gravel. i am always getting sand in my impellers on my hob filters.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I use PFS and find most detritus just sits on top of the sand, instead of working in between the interstitial spaces of gravel, so jamming the siphon tube down into it, is not needed. I just hover close to the sand, and the detritus gets sucked up, but not the sand.
Also if you use a long enough tube, gravity sets in before the sand gets into the hose section.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Stan do you do 50/50 gravel and sand or do you more of one ? I'm going to try black sand with river like gravel along with my driftwood
I can deal with the putting the sand back after my water changes no biggie
I tend to use a lot more sand than gravel. I probably use about 75% sand.

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm going to set up my new tank and post pics when it's all set up and ready hopefully in a week. I always do gravel so I wanted to try sand this time around. I like the idea of 75% sand and 25% gravel. I will just do the syphon hover method. Thanks again guys

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store