ID help on stelth predator

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
bought this guy a little while ago as a south american leaf fish i use to know the scientific name but forgot there was a thread here in the other monster fish section asking for info on it but i can't find it I remember one web site calling them african leaf fish but when i do a search on that name all i get is ctenopoma (sp?) or actual south american leaf fish

heres some pics

IT changes shades of color dependsing on mood heres its dark shade

heres two that show its pattern sorry bad photo skills + bad cammera + hard fish to photo = bad pics

Razman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
NoVa
its an oreo?

looks like a ctenopoma, or a nandus nandus. i dunno.

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Some kind of ctenopoma! I can't find anything on that guy though!!! Very cool!

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Could be oxyrhynchum...

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
definately a cteno, and sadly it's cooler than mine, lol

prolly a weeksi or oxyrhynchum

bunch of german sites keep showing Buszowiec ostropyski as being more like your fish than the leopard and all the english sites show leopards.... odd

Sti

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
Virginia
in the lower pictures it looks like nandus but I dont know if they change colors to the oreo in the upper pics. Pretty cool though.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
looks like an african leaffish.
dotn think its a ctenopoma.
but i cant remember the scientific name right now...

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
African Leaf Fish - "Polycentropsis abbreviata" 4 Shizzle....

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
BushFishRox;1679436; said:
African Leaf Fish - "Polycentropsis abbreviata" 4 Shizzle....
Thats it thanks man i couldn't remember the name it doesn't move a hole lot useually just hovers in place untill feeding time hes really fun i got him off live food in a week or two i can hand feed him which is really cool what ever i wiggle around in the tank he will try to eat he is kinda picky worms like red wigglers he spits out but he really likes shrimp , krill and fish fillets hes got alot of spunk to when i put my hand in the tank he will bite my finger to see if he can eat it and hes just barely over 1'' one of my favorite fish

gabs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2008
Malta
BIGgourami;1678221; said:
definately a cteno, and sadly it's cooler than mine, lol
definately not a cteno.

BushFish is totally right. Very nice find killerfish!!

Though they behave differently, Nandus nandus and Nandus nebulosus, Polycentrus schomburgki and Monocirrhus polyacanthus and even Ctenopoma acutirostre are often confused especially when still young.
While Nandus sp. and Polycentropsis abbreviata belong to the Nandidae Family, Polycentrus schomburgki and Monocirrhus polyacanthus belong to the Polycentridae Family.
On the other hand, Ctenopoma acutirostre belongs to the Anabantidae Family!

Do you still have the African leaf fish killer??

I was lucky enough to be able to keep 3 of the above mentioned species. Here are some pics;

The Souht American Leaf fish and the Spotted climbing perch (Ctenopoma acutirostre)

My fav the African leaf fish (Polycentropsis abbreviata)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store