Monster Fish Game on PS2!! Check this out!!

The TRUST

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2005
Miami, FL
Finny the Fish & the Seven Waters
Finny is a plucky fish who is charged with the task of restoring calm to the troubled waters that he calls home. These waters are not the seas that Ecco swam in, but are rather some smaller ponds that are connected to short streams and small waterfalls and such. With the ability to jump out of the water to clear some obstacles of climb upstream, Finny has some basic abilities to clear obstacles and explore different areas. He's also hungry and his stomach will help him out as well as get him into trouble.

Finny has a stomach meter and needs to find other watery creatures to feast upon. This is a pretty simple matter of swimming up to anything smaller and chomping onto it. There can be a short fight, but it's usually over pretty quick. The harder challenges are the lures that are in the water that are being pulled along by hungry fishermen. The moral of this story being that Finny can be a big fish in a small pond, but he can also be a sweet catch for a fisherman looking to feed his family.

When fighting for his life with a lure stuck in his mouth, Finny has to try to snap the line. This is the most interesting challenge in the game where the goal is to get the line nice and taut and then snap the line by jerking on it. After playing a bunch of fishing games where the goal is to fight to get a fish into the boat, it's cool to see the struggle from the other side. And that right there is the main appeal of Finny, it brings the world of fish to life in al its fight-to-survive glory. As for the rest of the game, it's easily skipped.

In the watery world that Finny swims in there are many challenges to face and a lot of these challenges involve moving objects around or bringing some lost objects to another place. So, basically, the game boils down to having a bunch of fetch-quests that encourage exploration of the world, which is good, but it also has long stretches that need to be crossed back and forth that have the same obstacles again and again, which is bad. If kids are new to the concept of finding some random cute animal in distress and helping him or her out, then this is somewhat appealing and the drawbacks can be overlooked, but that's the extent of it.

Closing Comments

With a cool-looking world to swim in, Finny is forced to swim through various obstacles as well as flop out into other puddles or up streams. While the jumping out mechanic is pretty accurate in creating an awkward motion with little control you have to wonder why you want to be playing with awkward motions at all. Or maybe this is all too much for a review that is basically saying that if a kid wants to play as a fish, then Finny is up their alley and hopefully they'll give up before the annoying gameplay gets to them.

skinless

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2005
Edmonton, CAN
so long SOCOM

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
OMG....I...............must...................get!!!!

Jen ;)

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
What the hell kind of pond is that? Coelacanth, goldfish, bass, arowanna, pirahna...it's like a stand in for Florida with all it's invasive species.

I always wanted to see a game like that, only a bit different. Something not so childish would have been cool where all you gotta do it become the top fish, breed, evade predators, hunt...normal real life fish stuff, and more realisitic. Most people would probably find it boreing...be a muskie....eat a duck!!!! I might buy this one....when I can find it used and for $5.00.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
Filthy Sanchez said:
I wouldn't go that far I still need a game to play while dressed in fatigues. This looks good, like a modern Ecco (remember that one). I like the cylacanth (sp?).
There is a modern Ecco game, I have it...hard as hell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store