American Bully and mislabeled pit bulls

bettagurl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Hampton VA
I thought I'd start this thread on a non-dog forum...

Many people, even those who own them, don't know what an American Bully is.

What would you call these dogs?

They're pit bulls, right?

First, let me explain...

The term "Pit Bull" covers several breeds, and any mix that has short hair, a wedge head, and muscles... Though the breeds 'pit bull' is most commonly used to cover are the American Bully, the American Pit Bull Terrier and the American Staffordshire Terrier.

They are not the same breeds. Here is a short list of dogs who are commonly mislabeled a 'pit bull'..
American Bulldog and their mixes
American Bully and their mixes
Dalmatian mixes
Labrador mixes
Cattle dog mixes
Rhodesian Ridgeback's and their mixes
American Pit Bull Terriers and their mixes
Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldogs and their mixes
Black Mouth Cur and their mixes
Catahoula Leopard Dogs and their mixes
Staffordshire Bull Terriers and their mixes
American Staffordshire Terriers and their mixes
Patterdale Terrier mixes
Even some beagle mixes
Hound (I.E Coon, American, Plott ect) mixes
Presa Canario and their mixes
Dogo Argentino and their mixes
Boxer mixes
Cane Corso and their mixes

I will stop now, I could go on forever with the different mixes who look like bulldogs. Do you see why so many dogs are labeled 'pit bull'? In attacks, in shelters, in the hands of dumb owners.

In reality, the American Pit Bull Terrier, the one originally called "Pit Bull" for short, is a medium sized, lean, very athletic terrier. It's not a stocky, big headed monster. They were bred to NOT be human aggressive. In the pit, the handlers were right next to these dogs, sometimes having to lay down to make sure things are okay and get a look at the dog's faces. They had to handle and separate the dogs, and clean, stitch and staple any wounds afterwards. In order to do that safely, they could not have dogs who bit a human under any but the most extreme circumstances. If a dog did bite, it was killed, or sterilized, but usually killed, thus creating dogs without human aggression.

The American Pit Bull Terrier was bred to American Staffordshire terriers, mastiffs, and others to create the American Bully, mixed with GUARD breeds, and they are sold many a time as an American Pit Bull Terrier, and called 'pit bulls', yet their temperament is not that of an APBT, they have a higher risk of being man biters, and are called pit bulls.

The media would call a chihuahua a pit bull if they could, because it sells more papers. Recently, a poor girl was killed at a reputable American Bulldog kennel. Several reports on it called the dogs "American Pit Bulls" Registered with the AKC... Wait, something is wrong... There is no such thing as an "American Pit Bull", and the AKC recognizes neither American Pit Bull Terriers nor American Bulldogs. They blatantly LIED, went out of their way, to call the dogs pit bulls because it catches your eye. I personally spread it to as many bulldog-savvy people as possible, and wrote myself, to tell them to correct their error.

That is one of many, many, many such incidents.

I was out walking one day and saw a dogfight going on, someone was walking their Bulldog breed of some kind, and what looked like a PURE BRED Australian Cattle dog, even Merle in color, was loose and started fighting their dog. I always carry an extra leash on me and went to help. I fought a loop over the dog's head and pulled him away, as the owner called Animal Control. I stood with the dog -a distance from her and her dog- while we waited on Animal control. They showed up and she filled out a report, talking the whole time "I was just walking by and that pit bull flew out of nowhere -" STOP, this dog has small, triangular ears, medium length hair, and looks nothing like a 'pit' anything! She pointed out that he was stocky and had a big mouth :eek:

You see how the average person can misidentify breeds? So one more report of a 'pit bull' attack was filed.

When most people hear 'pit bull', they picture a heavy, big dog, big head, and a spiked collar. That sounds like an American Bully to me.

I know some of you guys own American Bullies, I've seen them... So, here is a visual comparison on the breeds...

This is a real, very well bred, American Pit Bull Terrier who's owner I know a bit.

Here is an xxl American Bully

An American Staffordshire Terrier

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

All are different breeds, they have different temperaments, different looks, and different uses. One thing all bulldog breeds have in common is dog aggression. Animal aggression and prey drive are normal for them, and to be expected...

www.pitbull-chat.com has info on APBTs, ASTs, American Bullies, SBTs, and any bulldog breed if you want to read more.

If you get what I'm aiming at through this long post, it's how easily the name 'pit bull' is put on a dog. It used to be only American Pit Bull Terriers who were called Pit Bulls, but then people started breeding American Staffs and American Bullies from them and called THOSE pit bulls, and it spread.

I'm also trying to reach people who are interested in, or OWN an American Bully, yet think it's an APBT or 'pit bull'.

Here are a few more of REAL APBT named Envy.

To non-dog people, this might seem to be rambling :nilly: but hopefully others will learn and do some reading about what I've said... All I did was outline two of my pet peeves here: American Bullies being called APBTs, and mislabeled APBTs.

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
first dog is a Blue Nose Pitbull i believe.

bettagurl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Hampton VA
iloveoscars702;4045624; said:
first dog is a Blue Nose Pitbull i believe.
Blue is only a color, blue in dogs is just a diluted black. Blue pops up in just about every breed, chihuahuas, German Shepherds, collies, you name it. The first is a blue colored American Bully.

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
bettagurl;4045650; said:
Blue is only a color, blue in dogs is just a diluted black. Blue pops up in just about every breed, chihuahuas, German Shepherds, collies, you name it. The first is a blue colored American Bully.
ahh i c... blue nose pits is the only name ive ever known for them ;) but thanks for the correction.

bettagurl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Hampton VA
iloveoscars702;4045658; said:
ahh i c... blue nose pits is the only name ive ever known for them ;) but thanks for the correction.
Not a problem, many people call their bully breeds "Red nosed pit bull... Blue pit bull.. " And act like it's a name. That's like me introducing my boy, Jaeger, as a "Sable Shepherd", when he's a pet quality German Shepherd, and Sable is his color.

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
bettagurl;4045671; said:
Not a problem, many people call their bully breeds "Red nosed pit bull... Blue pit bull.. " And act like it's a name. That's like me introducing my boy, Jaeger, as a "Sable Shepherd", when he's a pet quality German Shepherd, and Sable is his color.
ah i c... so would it be the same when people call my three mini schnauzers a Salt and pepper schnauzer, being salt and pepper is just the color?

RedTailKinG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
QUEENS NYC
the bully breed dose cover all pit breeds but the first pic is what qualifies as a bully which has become a standard name for that breed those are mixed with bulldog blood

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
The main difference between the two is aggression level towards man?

bettagurl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Hampton VA
RedTailKinG;4045698; said:
the bully breed dose cover all pit breeds but the first pic is what qualifies as a bully which has become a standard name for that breed those are mixed with bulldog blood
Could you explain what you mean? "The bully breed dose cover all pit bull breeds" I mean.

American Bully is the name for a relatively new breed. They are also called "Bully Style". However, the American Bully even has it's own registry, it's a breed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store