Polleni Personality?

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
I'm really debating on starting up a 75 gallon tank just for a Paratilapia Polleni, but i was wondering what your guy's experiences have been with them.

How are they personality wise? Do they grow attached to their owner and allow you to hand feed? Aggressive? Can they stand tankmates?

I was thinking of getting a 75 with a couple pairs of kribs or jewels with lots of small cave work done and then have enough open space for a Polleni as my showpiece. I really love the look of these guys but i haven't really heard many people talk about them or a heck of a lot of people even owning them, but they must since they are so cheap and so damn gorgeous.

Any help please?

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
A polleni and kribs won't mix. Polleni get the better part of foot long.

Polleni can be real glass bangers, but aren't able to defend themselves against smaller (or larger) really agressive tankmates (e.g. red devils, jewels, etc.).

I've kept them in a big tank with milder large haps as well as milder larger central americans (Vieja).

One in a 75g would be a good home for its life.

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
I knew they got big, but i was hoping i could get a couple breeding pairs of kribs established in the rock work first and then introduce a smaller polleni.

So you are saying either alone or with larger less aggressive tankmates? hmmm i don't know if i want to give a tank to a single fish unless i have to.

Also you say they can't defend themselves against jewels? I could see maybe when the polleni was smaller and the jewels were breeding but a foot long cichlid getting pushed around by 3" jewels?

lostnight

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2006
Dayton, Ohio, USA
Personaly, I think it might work, can never be sure though. As long as you have a backup plan, I would try and fulfill your vision of how you want your aquarium to be.

Pollenis can be bullies if given the chance. But I haven't seen them turn into killers, ususally just a brief little chase. They aren't the greatest brawlers, they can lose their rank in the heirarchy eventually. Mine will take krill from my fingers, and he does not seem to go after feeder fish. Here is a pic of him (or her).

I say go after your vision, it doesn't sound too off the wall to me. A lot of this hobby is experimentation.

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
lostnight;2015614; said:
Personaly, I think it might work, can never be sure though. As long as you have a backup plan, I would try and fulfill your vision of how you want your aquarium to be.

Pollenis can be bullies if given the chance. But I haven't seen them turn into killers, ususally just a brief little chase. They aren't the greatest brawlers, they can lose their rank in the heirarchy eventually. Mine will take krill from my fingers, and he does not seem to go after feeder fish. Here is a pic of him (or her).

I say go after your vision, it doesn't sound too off the wall to me. A lot of this hobby is experimentation.
thanks i may try this once i locate a cheap tank that i can pickup. First i'll try cheap kribs but if it works out i might bring in some rarer pelvichromis and breed them in a 10 gallon and throw a batch of slightly grown out fry in the tank.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
mine is the dominant fish in the 125 gallon, but it still is not the most aggressive in terms of overall damage towards other fish, or in how much it harrasses others. It is the biggest fish in the tank still, but does not eat some of the fish that are in there that are way smaller, especially a buffalohead and a small demasoni that I briefly had to house in there.

misplacedsooner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2007
usa
i currently house my male pollini...about 7-8 inches with a pair of jewels and a xingu1 pike and they all get along great....so far.
mike

Frostyone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Baltimore
I have a 5" sex uknown in my 125 with 3 Frontosa ranging in size from 3"-9", 6 Peacocks 3.5"-7" a 4.5" Jewel and 3 plecos. My Polleni is the first one to the front of the glass when it's time to eat, I can hand feed it and it's far from my most aggressive fish. He/She will only chase another off, but won't actively seek out fights with other fish.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Good thread, I seemed to miss until now.

My 10" polleni Is very territorial to other large cichlids, when it is kept with such it generally get beat up though. However it is not aggressive towards smaller fish. I had him with some 2" convicts for a couple months with no problems. Currently He is kept with an 6" pictus cat and a 8" orange pike.

He is a glass banger, but will not take food from my hand.

Bllib

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2007
In a box of Pop Tarts!
I have my polleni in a 55 with small argenteas, severums and other small fish and is very laid back. I have also had him in with large oscars and no issues. He does seem to get beat up quite a bit by cichlids of the same size or smaller so I have to be careful who I put in with him. He is one of my favorite fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store