Monster's DIY Monster Sized Filter socks *Stop changing out filter socks everyday

MonsterPeacock

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2011
Colorado
After building my 400 gallon DIY tank, I've been tweaking my filtration here and there...First off I'll note my system pushes over 4000 gallons an hour and I have quite a few BIG fish and a big waste load to deal with being all my fish eat pellets and different cut raw sea foods. For those of you that keep less and smaller fish this may not make much since to you being it be serious over kill and unnecessary. However for my fish, it's just right!

So I started off using normal filter socks I bought online and I even tried a few different ones out but my main problem with them is they wouldn't even last a day before clogging up and overfilling out the tops! I was getting tiered of having to change out filter socks every 12 hours on my tank I thought I could figure something out that would have to work better then that crap!

So I came up with these bad boy's and I made a mess of them too using all different types of filter media and seeing what would work best for me and my set up / fish. I came up with two different "Monster Socks" that I use now. The first is seen below and is my main type of sock used and for me lasts a week before clogging and needing cleaned! I made three of these for a quick change out when needed plus they clean out easy. The second sock I made was just like the ones seen below but geared more for polishing the water in where I used much finer filter materials. The nice thing about having these around, is I can swop out the socks within seconds and polish the water before company or taking photo's of my fish for that clear, crisp photo or if I just added a new piece of wood and wanted to filter out the leaching tan color from the water... Anyway these work kickass for me and I thought I'd share them with all of you in case you also have ran into the same types of problems I have and are tiered of changing filter socks everyday. This is a cheap and effective way to get better results then your standard store bought filter socks -

:naughty:

Take a 3 gallon painters bucket and drill out your holes.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Cut out the filter media to fit the bottom of your bucket.

3.JPG

Then wrap the walls of the inner bucket with filter media like this.

4.JPG

5.JPG

Here, I'm using old air tubing cut and tied to fit tight and it acts like a rubber band around the rim to keep the filter media in place. Quick, easy, durable and will last over and over again.

6.JPG

Here, I've cut a piece of felt to place on the bottom of the bucket, the blue filter media will go over top of this. This helps filter out smaller items and polishes your water.

7.JPG

Here I show you a normal store bought filter sock next to my Monster 3 gallon sock! No compression IMO :grinno:

8.JPG

9.JPG

Here's one of my Monster Socks in action!

10.JPG

Here's one after a week, clogged up and overflowing... But still filtering a good % of the water. Time to change out!

11.JPG

Thanks for Looking!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
Hmmm, cool ! Good thinking, some how I think there be a way to even improve that more...

And why not have a lid on it so it somewhat seals it up to stop over flowing and continue to filter out rather then dirt/poop getting pushed out into you black barrel ya have there for the sump ?

KingoRock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2010
Rockford
Good idea man

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MonsterPeacock

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2011
Colorado
Hmmm, cool ! Good thinking, some how I think there be a way to even improve that more...

And why not have a lid on it so it somewhat seals it up to stop over flowing and continue to filter out rather then dirt/poop getting pushed out into you black barrel ya have there for the sump ?
The problem with lids and a hole cut into the center with the 90 fitting overflowing into this sock is once it clogs up and fills the water starts to squirt and spay out the center of the top, spraying all over the flipping place... Not good... I know.. That was my first design...lol

I'm sure there are ways of improving but for now this works exactly as I need it too and does a great job keeping the water clean and clear.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
So it only overflows when clogged eh ? Why not try it with a 5gal pail ? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to leave it for say a month ? Gotta ask what pads are ya using for that ? Have a link ya can send me should work great in my fx5's I have :)

MonsterPeacock

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2011
Colorado
So it only overflows when clogged eh ? Why not try it with a 5gal pail ? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to leave it for say a month ? Gotta ask what pads are ya using for that ? Have a link ya can send me should work great in my fx5's I have :)
Yeah, like any sock it overflows when it clogs up. As far as using a five gallon bucket, not a good idea for a few reasons really but the main reason is you really don't want to "leave" crap and un-eaten foods in your filter long. It starts decomposing and breaking up into toxins and ammonia, so you really want to clean out / change your filter media often IMO and get the waste out of your system not figure out ways to leave it in longer... Daily is a lil excessive and why I designed these because weekly at least for my set up and fish is good.
Plus fast and easy!!

geronimo69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Yeah, like any sock it overflows when it clogs up. As far as using a five gallon bucket, not a good idea for a few reasons really but the main reason is you really don't want to "leave" crap and un-eaten foods in your filter long. It starts decomposing and breaking up into toxins and ammonia, so you really want to clean out / change your filter media often IMO and get the wast out of your system not figure out ways to leave it in longer... Daily is a lil excessive and why I designed these because weekly at least for my set up and fish is good.

That's what I think also. They should last between water changes at least.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store