Convict x Ceibal " conceivabals". Growth

ChrisH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2007
newfoundland, Canada
Hello again, my South American x central convict and Ceibal pair have had fry. The fry are now growing to close on one inch. They primarily have the convicts colours of white and black but onto their fins there is the common hybrid characteristic of speckles along with deep blues and reds donated from the Ceibal. They are already showing aggression especially the two largest. the fry left with mother in tank they were born in are much larger and developed then the fry I caught and put into a grow put tank. these pictures show first the fry in with mother then the smaller fry by themselves. The last pictures are of the pair. I think the name is quite suitable considering the partnership and success of these two species breeding was said to be inconceivable.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

ChrisH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2007
newfoundland, Canada
Last four pictures include two pictures of segregated fry, and picture of male red Ceibal and then a picture as couple..

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

ChrisH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2007
newfoundland, Canada
Sorry for the poor picture quality guys. Taken with an iPad. I need a little advice on what to do with these guys. I cannot sell them to lfs because they are hybrids and I only have so many friends with suitable sized tanks for them. Any advice?

crash83

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
Houston,Tx
Very cool!!!
Thanks for the update!

Pole

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
Here
amazing. no other words u can say. if u have nothing to do with them, sell them on here and keep some. I wish I lived closer to u

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I think you should do an experiment, where you keep a number of the fry (pick a number, maybe 20) in a small heated tank, and some, 20 in the same size unheated tank, in a room where temps fluctuate wildly, and you could monitor at convenient times every day. All other factors such as feeding, light duration, water changes would be the same in each tank. If you don't have enough tanks, plastic storage bins could be used.
This might help to determine if the gene ceibals have for tolerating cold, has been passed on to the fry, by comparing survival rates in each tank.
My ceibals can take temps down into the high 40sF, whereas true convicts may only tolerate temps down into the low 60sF.
I removed some ceibl fry from my 50% drained pond the other day, air temps had dipped down to 40'F overnight, and the ceibal fry were unphased.

ChrisH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2007
newfoundland, Canada
I could keep the ones in with the parents and fluctuate emperature in tank with separated ceibals. although this may not be a fair test. I am doing a biology degree at school I candle this being a good thesis project.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store