Dead poly / Sick poly

Andri Pogo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2007
Iceland
One of my Palmas polli female died today :(
She got a cloudy eye few days ago but 3 days ago i noticed that the fins seemed to be rotting.
She had been in a 10G hospital tank for 2 days with anti-fungus meds with a male palmas polli that looked sick.
The hospital tank has a heater set to ~80°F / 27°C and an airstone

The male has been very pale and slow for a while and a few days ago i noticed something like a fungus on the face area so i put him in treatment with the female.
I put the male in a hour long salt bath a few days ago with no result.

- Could the meds have kiiled it? Its TetraMedica FungiStop, containing Silver colloid and Metanil yellow. The male still looks "fine", but should i continue the treatment, switch out for salt or just put it back in the main tank?

- All the other fish in the main tank seem OK, but whatever this is, fin-rot, bacterial infection like Anne suggested earlier or something else... should i worry about the others?

- And finally, i would like to preserve the dead poly, is there any easy DIY way to preserve it as it is? If not, i would at least like to preserve the skull.
I dont have access to ants or anything else to eat the flesh away, but is there another way to clean the skull i can do at home?

Here is the pale-looking male:

And the dead female, notice the nasty looking fins:

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
use 70% alcohol for preservation (or at least maintenance of perservation) of our specimens...this is diluted from the 95% stuff we keep on hand in the lab. the actual preservation/fixation, however, is done with formaldehyde. if the fish is larger than just a few inches then i cut the belly so the chemical can enter into the insides of the fish and preserve everything. the fish stays in the form. solution for a couple days. if its a gar or bichir, a fish that has rigid bony scales, then i take the fish out after 2-3 days and just let it air dry. the fish is now dry preserved.

if im doing a standard preservation i take the fish out after 2-3 days and let it sit in a container of water to soak out the formalin. after a day in the water the fish is removed and placed into a container of 70% alcohol for long-term preservation.
as far as using other alcohol, i think as long as its relatively pure and the proof is about 140 you should be ok...in theory

Weylin

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2007
Inside a Bottle
Well i did it for one of my gars.. I cleaned the skin and the skull.. I removed all the flesh and eyes.. Then i soaked it for an hour or so in dawn detergent and rinsed with water.. Then i soaked it in a solution of denatured Spirit or denatured alcohol.. mixed with a handfull of borax power.. I kept it fully soaked for 3-4 days.. Then i dried it out.. And it looks great... Ill post pics tom...

Druu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Notre Dame, IN
Yep, I'd do what anne said, although I've just been throwing smaller pieces straight into alcohol instead of treating them with formulin. Of course these pieces were tiny: brain and eyes of a spiny dogfish for example..

Anne, what lab/aquarium do you work for?

Andri Pogo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2007
Iceland
not sure if its blood? its slimy and hairy... very veird, and the same "stuff" was settling on the heater and air hose... :confused:

but i didnt think it was fungus anymore so i was gonna take him out and just put him in salt but he was dead when i got home from work :(
was on the bottom all in this red stuff, ill take pics of him soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store