ply tank leaking

crazyaboutcichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
australia
hi,
i reacently built a 8x2x2 i built the tank on a very tight budget. That was my biggest mistake the ply i use i dont think is quite strong enough. I also used a paint for sealing ponds. The problem with this is that i think it is a concrete base paint and silicone wont stick to it very well. Iam now thinking of taking out the two section front and putting in one piece of glass. Also taking out the suport in the mid and leaving the overhang of about 2", So the glass has a nice soild 2" wide seal all round the front.

me in my tank well box

all sealed up

seams are reasonably neat

glass going in

just need to support the frame more

water going in

i fill on unlevel ground this was to see if i could bust the end out. i was alittle worried about the thickness of the timber. So far so good.

first time full of water

everything going in for a week long test

3 of our oscars and the real horses head

I have since added more suprots to the tank i had problems with the front bottom lip (timber) bowing out and it seperated the glass from the timber.

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
so wheres the leak? you should fill up the tank alone for 1-2 weeks to test for leaks. A guy on aquaria built a 150gallon tank and ended up finding out his bottom was soaked full of water, so he scraped the tank. You should also see if that paint is made to stick to wood. I know drylok is made for masonry and wont work, as the guy with the 150gal found out.

crazyaboutcichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
australia
The leak was right along the bottom edge of the left sheat of glass the silicone and paint did not stick well in most parts but did in some. The paint stuck good to the wood but in some spots it lifted abit due to me leaving it where the sun got to it, empty and not dry fully. So i ran a knife through the bubbles that had formed and the wood was dry. The paint was put on thick so it had formed like a rubber coat with a stone texture. So i laid fresh paint in, left to set and that seemed to fix them. I am still left with the problem of the glass, but as i said i think i will put in a one piece front. Also i did ring the company the makes the paint and spoke to the tec who was quite helpfull. He did say to me that it was not tested for wood but should be ok, of course no guarantee!.

Finmore

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Virginia
Exactly which paint product did you use to seal your tank?

Most rubberized paints will not bond with silicone, though they might be strong enough by themselves to seal the plywood joints in your tank. Sanitred makes a product called LRB which might form a good sealing bond with your paint and glass.

RBE17

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
Coopersburg, Pa 18036
Finmore;1642052; said:
Exactly which paint product did you use to seal your tank?

Most rubberized paints will not bond with silicone, though they might be strong enough by themselves to seal the plywood joints in your tank. Sanitred makes a product called LRB which might form a good sealing bond with your paint and glass.
W/ all the problems I've read about Saniterd, I'd stay far away from it.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
RBE17;1642390; said:
W/ all the problems I've read about Saniterd, I'd stay far away from it.
ALL THE PROBLEMS? Cite them!

And don't use any that weren't applied properly.

Dr Joe

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
According to there site its for masonry as well. And with a moisture content of 15% you would need to prime it with DAMP STOP. I dont know the moisture content of plywood, but I doubt its zero.
http://www.crommelin.com.au/images/newProducts/Pond Sealer Clear.pdf
http://www.crommelin.com.au/images/newProducts/HOW TO SEAL FISH PONDS.pdf

Im gonna try the paint thing in a month or so and its a 3 step process. Its going to be a scratch cote (primer), then 2-3 coats of the seal itself, topped with m ore scratch coat.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
ITHURTZ;1644467; said:
According to there site its for masonry as well. And with a moisture content of 15% you would need to prime it with DAMP STOP. I dont know the moisture content of plywood, but I doubt its zero.
http://www.crommelin.com.au/images/newProducts/Pond Sealer Clear.pdf
http://www.crommelin.com.au/images/newProducts/HOW TO SEAL FISH PONDS.pdf

Im gonna try the paint thing in a month or so and its a 3 step process. Its going to be a scratch cote (primer), then 2-3 coats of the seal itself, topped with m ore scratch coat.
I didn't think Crommelin was available in the U.S.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store