Weds Sport Full Carbon Fiber Wheel $12k/set

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2006
DC-MD-VA
http://www.carbonfibergear.com/weds-sport-full-carbon-fiber-wheel/

A Japanese company by the name of Weds Sport has come up with the first full carbon fiber wheel. They unveiled the wheels with what they call their Dry Carbon Wheel Project at the last Tokyo Auto Salon show.
One wheel weighs in at just 2.76kg, which works out to be 6.08475844 pounds. Interested in getting a set of these for your car? Expect to pay around $10,000-$12,000 for the set. While it sounds expensive, you can easily spend $8,000+ on custom three-piece forged wheels from a company like HRE.
I tried to get somebody to translate the Japanese from the above display at Tokyo Auto Salon, but this was the best I got from user fithamoto on the Nissan 350Z forums:
Its kinda of complicated, but it basically says its a Dry Carbon Fiber process that can be used on automobile & motorcycle tires. Something about the weight and color too. It points out the differences between a wet CF proces & Dry CF process.
Sorry, really not much help after all. I guess your gonna need to get a first gen. Japanese to translate it correctly.
If anybody else can translate better, we’d love to know what the rest says…just post a comment below.
Weds Sport’s display also featured a wheel with a carbon fiber face, but more than likely a forged aluminum wheel surrounding. This is probably a much cheaper solution, and potentially arguably better looks.
There is some concern about a wheel being 100% carbon fiber that I’ve seen from people online…especially considering the weight of the wheel. Is it strong enough to support a car normally driving, let alone at a race track? What about the cost of repairing the wheel if something gets damaged? Does it need to get fully replaced, or can it be fixed for substantially less cost?

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
I want a set..

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
johnny roastbeef;2157799; said:
they look fragile, and likely to splinter
1) Wedsport has been around for quite a while and would not have invested the time and money into a product that wouldn't hold up.

2) carbon-fiber weave is one of the strongest materials on earth once properly processed. (the Koenigsegg CCR is made of something like, 90% carbon fiber)

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Wounder if it comes in red?

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
hmm need them to pimp my hoopdy.... talk about the ultimate racing rim 6 pounds

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
damn those are NICE!!!!!!!! and +1 on carbon fiber being crazy strong. its just a matter of time before they come out with different color weaves. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store