My 500g piece of furniture

Issack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Big Island Hawaii
Well it's almost done.!! Jezz.. What a project this thing has been. Most of my hang ups have just been time, and research on the right equipment.

I have been wanting to do this for a few years now since i joined this site. Now finally here it is.!! It's actually 493g but 500 sounds better.. lol

I'm a furniture builder/cabinet maker of 14 years. I also do finish trim carpentry on these huge multi million dollar homes here in Hawaii.. So building this was not that hard.. just being a perfectionist is my down fall when it comes to time and what i want to accomplish..

inside tank dimensions are 93x35x35. Glass is 1/2 plate glass.

Filtration is a Eheim 2262 and a 2260. two 800gph Hydors for water movement, and a 40w danner UV

The trim on the tank is Quarter sawn white oak that i scored from one of my jobs i did. The plywood i sheeted the base with is QS oak as well and i added some African ribbon mahogany to the mix to break up the color a bit.. I was going to do a traditional shaker style panel and rail style doors but thought it was too played out and i wanted something different.. I can always add different doors later if i want..

I'm doing a carving of a tree for the center part of the stand.. you will see the pics of it in the rough below.

Tank construction is birch ply and 2x4s for the face frame to set the glass

The rest is all in the pictures.. and there is a ton so get ready.. lol

I used Laticrete 9235 membrane for the first series of water proofing..

Then i went over the laticrete with LIC marine Epoxy Enamal to make it fish safe.. I went with one coat of white and two coats of black.. so i knew i would get all the areas..

now time to set the glass..

leak test..

now comes the trim..

2x7 solid oak base..

the top bracing

I don't know if i like the hood too much.. I might change it later.. I don't know. I'm horrible like that.. I can't settle for one thing..

I made spraybars..

here is the tree i am going to carve out for the middle of the stand.. i am hoping to get that done in the next few weeks..

the wood on the tank is raw at the moment.. and i am doing an oil rub finish.. I really don't want to tent off the area and spray laqure.. It's just a big mess.. The wood will come alive once i do it.. so more pics to come.

Filling the tank this weekend and doing some rubbing in finish as well.. I go pick up my gravel friday.. and i have some sick rocks that i will snap some pics of..

I have a 13 inch silver Arow going in here.. as well as 3 RCK and some Red Hooks.. my friend has the Arow and i need to cycle this tank ASAP cause my friend sucks at fish keeping and the arow is in a 40gal.. suffering from lack of water changes and it's just sad.. no matter what i tell him he just doesn't take care of the beautiful arow right.. Hope he lives till my tank is cycled..

Feel free to ask questions cause i just got lost in all the pics i just posted and the info.. lol.. I'll post more as i do the finish and when tank is full this weekend

Hope you guys enjoyed.. And you all are the reason i built this. I love this sight..

MFK RHaCoDaCTYLuS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Iowa City, Iowa
wow that tank looks sick. quality is uncomparable. now stock it up!

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
this is absolutely amazing! thanks for the write up :thumbsup:

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
Awesome job! Can't wait for more pics!

Liam

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2007
Brisbane - Australia.
that is one great build man. A+

yillant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2009
Australia
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :OMG: wtg amazing job it looks fantastic.... i cant wait to see pics when ur entirely done <3333333333 awesomeness and rofl @ sitting in it. i have to say this is the best 1 ive seen ... anywhere. your perfection payed off :woot:

cnoel08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2008
memphis, tn
thats one goofy lookin fish you got in there lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store