1500 gallon sump 2.0 - A complete rebuild (load warning)

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
So, my sump was causing my cats problems in getting to their cat boxes as it was too loud for them and refused to go past it to use their boxes.

I was pissed about having to move the sump to the far back room because if I had just planned for that in the first place it obviously would have been much nicer.

But, after removing the original sump it turned out it was a ticking time bomb waiting to split open and dump about 500 gallons of water in the basement. So now after it's done I am glad the cat had an issue with it.

Turns out because the original sump was supposed to only be 24" deep I never planned on nor did even think to go back and reinforce the thing for being 4' deep and the inner supports split away from the tank due to bowing and caused a slow leak in the back. It was pretty moldy and ready to give way.

So here is the new and improved with a much nicer design.

A view of old sump, hookups and the back room where it's going.

The basis box:

Top ridge support added:

The inner supports for the sewer drain pipe:

Screw holes filled in with construction adhesive

Second/Middle support ridge added:

Wall between bio media chamber and return area

Bio media area on left, overflow area from main tank on right. Had to build up the wall ont he right in 3 sections due to the limited room (7 inches) in that chamber.

2" Return opening and lower sight glass opening:

Upper sight glass opening:

3" drains with 2" side drains to emergency drain as well as 20% water change.

Upper valve is for the 20% drain and the lower one is the emergency drain.

Old hookups on left new hookups on right. Nothing attached yet.

Bio media holding area (2'x3'x'3') All scrubbies

Top of bio media chamber that will support the mech filter pads.

4" pre drilled drain pipes 3' long to help spread the water over the large bio media area. Water drops into the sump in the overflow area then fille up until it spills into the 4" drains and on to the mech media which then drips all over the bio media.

Building the sight glass for water level.

1/2" pvs glued into a 1" clear PVS pipe to keep the pond armor coated styro ball from going into the 90" turn.

The new sump has an overflow drain as well.

Final hookups go down under the tank out back then up tot he sump.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Crazy! All cuz of your cats? LOL

Wonderful job....

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
What about it was a ticking time bomb?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Awesome job. That plumbing work is crazy.

spyder6005

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2008
brooklyn
What does this sump filter? You are a nice guy for doing all of this for cats. I would have built a different sort of box if my cat was in the way of my fish.

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
spyder6005;3451355; said:
What does this sump filter? You are a nice guy for doing all of this for cats. I would have built a different sort of box if my cat was in the way of my fish.

Filters this http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209523

And yeah I wasn't too thrilled about it until after I saw the original sump was defective in a way I wouldn't have known about until it was way too late. So, in the end it worked out for the best.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store