That's some fine lookin lumber you have what is it? :popcorn:

IrnGynt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Virginia
johncl;3600525; said:
That's some fine lookin lumber you have what is it? :popcorn:
Oak. Kinda pricey compared to pine, but I figured this thing is supposed to be a piece of furniture so I better spend a little extra on it. Also, I can't find straight pine at Lowes or Home Depot.

johncl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2008
USA
Wow I thought it was oak but wasn't sure. Can't wait to see more.

Miguel4u2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
New York
So you are just going to put plywood over it and thats it? If so, i think the frame looks too weak. And there should not be legs but a flat bottom to distribute the weight. I think you should reinforce with some 2x4's or more wood

MONSTERUP

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
santa maria
i like but i would have made the frame with reg. wood and wraped it with oak. but i dont have deep pockets. lol!!!

johncl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2008
USA
Looks good so far. Will be plenty strong enough for a 75. :popcorn:

bob965

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2009
MI
You're not really taking advantage of the compressive strength of your vertical supports, as most of the load on your top framing is supported by sideways force on a few self tapping pocket hole screws. That thing is gonna weigh 800 pounds when it's full. That's not really the way most people would have done it.

IrnGynt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Virginia
Thanks for the critiquing, but I'm not done yet! :)

It's much more solid then it looks as is, but there will be more supports plus 3/4" oak for the top and at least 1/2" for the bottom tying all the legs together. I'm also using 3/4" oak for the sides.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store