Above tank FX5 powerd Algae scrubber build (pics)

Err

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2009
Austin Texas
Here are the pics to my build. I used 1/4 in plexi glass to build the box. I used a wet saw to make the cuts, and a Dremel tool to cut the drain hole and the hole for the bulkhead. I'm currently re-glueing the "water in" side of the box back on because it poped off when I first hooked it up :irked: after it dries up tommarow I will post a video of it running.

Pic
1) the basic design
2)The plumbing, plug the output of the FX5 into the outer port
3)This is the hole where water drains back into the tank
4)This is the roughed up growth strip where algae will hopefully grow, 1/8th inch plexi. I used a dremel to rough up the surface

5)Close up of the growth surface
6)This is what it looks like on the tank, with the light on
7) in clamps being re-sealed

algae scrubber.jpg

plumbing.JPG

drain hole.JPG

growth strip.JPG

growth strip surface.JPG

on tank.JPG

re-glue.JPG

Err

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2009
Austin Texas
Sorry but I got held up with christmas activities. I finnaly got it up and running, but the FX5 proved to be just too much for this set up. It sounded like Niagra so I decided to tone it down to the output from my magnum 350. Wich means I dont get to use the spiffy plumbing for now but with the ehime output tube it works great. I'm useing 2x 6700k T5 bulbs on the scrubber and a 1x 6700k and 1x color max bulb (pinkish) on the tank. Anyhow here are the pics of it running and the tank. I'll post an update on weather or not this thing works once some algae gets growing.:headbang2

mag350 output.JPG

no plumbing.JPG

2x6700.JPG

color max and 6700.JPG

IMG_3123.JPG

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
Interesting set up. Never seen that before. What is the purpose of a setup like that? Use the lights to grow algae for bio filtration?

Morcs

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Maybe like a refugium to reduce nitrates?

Im not sure it will work if thats the case, the fw algae wont absorb nitrates anywhere near like what sw macro algae can. Maybe throw in a load of javamoss?

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
I would have hung the lights and planted the through with water plants. That would look pretty cool. But also consume more space. But nice project non the less.

Err

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2009
Austin Texas
Muni;3732231; said:
Interesting set up. Never seen that before. What is the purpose of a setup like that? Use the lights to grow algae for bio filtration?
Its to use the lights to grow algae for Nitrate/nutrient export.

Morcs;3732257; said:

Im not sure it will work if thats the case, the fw algae wont absorb nitrates anywhere near like what sw macro algae can. Maybe throw in a load of javamoss?
Yup its basically to help reduce nitrates, and any other excess stuff that the algae might absorb. I know FW isnt as good an exporter of nutrients as SW macro algae but I saw some pretty good results with FW algae scrubbers in the algae scrubber thread. However it seems to take them a bit longer to get going as the FW algae dosent grow quite as fast.

Muni;3732292; said:
I would have hung the lights and planted the through with water plants. That would look pretty cool. But also consume more space. But nice project non the less.
Thanks :) that is also an interesting idea, should the algae not give me the results I want I might have to grow some fast growing terestrial plants hydrophonically, hmmmmm I wonder:grinno:

big dovii

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2007
Edmonton, AB, Can
IMO I would switch the lights, the T5's you have on that setup won't produce much algae unless their old bulbs. I'd get a regular compact fluorescent bulb, it seems to yield greater results with the DIY scrubbers.

Err

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2009
Austin Texas
big dovii;3732741; said:
IMO I would switch the lights, the T5's you have on that setup won't produce much algae unless their old bulbs. I'd get a regular compact fluorescent bulb, it seems to yield greater results with the DIY scrubbers.
What do you mean "regular compact fluorescent"? I need it to be in T5 format as I wont spend the money for a diffrent fixture, but I would deff consider a diffrent type of bulb if it would grow algae faster.

Griller

Gambusia
MFK Member
Neat scrubber esign Err. Very compact.

Morcs;3732257; said:
Maybe throw in a load of javamoss?
Sounds like a good idea. I'm planning a refugium or scrubber (haven't decided) for a huge FW outdoor tank and haven't worked out which will work best.

Im not sure it will work if thats the case, the fw algae wont absorb nitrates anywhere near like what sw macro algae can.
Do you know what the difference is? Say half or 1/3 the rate?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store