Spin-off Thread: How does Kensfish Food Stack Up Against NLS?

flowerpower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
NY
After reading the Hikari VS NLS thread I had to ask: How does Ken's food rate in comparison. I've been using his feed ever since a friend turned me onto it and my fish seem to be doing great. Ken also sells NLS, Xtreme and HBH. Any thoughts? Comparisons?

Nemesis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
nyc
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Here are the nutritional facts for both. NLS seems to have a better nutritional value. Hopefully someone else can chime in to better explain the difference in ingredients.

[/FONT]Kens Premium Cichlid Pellets

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]INGREDIENTS:[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] WHEAT, FISH MEAL, SOYBEAN MEAL, BLOOD PORK MEAL, STABILIZED FISH OIL, CAPSANTHIN, SPIRULINA, XANTHOPHYLL, KRILL MEAL, DI CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, VITAMIN A ACETATE, D-ACTIVATED ANIMAL-STEROL (D-3), VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT, NIACIN, FOLIC ACID, CALCIUM PANTOTHHENATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, THIAMINE, BIOTIN, DL ALPHATOCOPHEROL (E), L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE (C), COLOR ENHANCERS WITH RED, YELLOW, AND BLUE/GREEN PIGMENTS.
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] CRUDE PROTEIN 45.0% MIN., CRUDE FAT 9.0% MIN., CRUDE FIBER 5.0% MAX., MOISTURE 10.0% MAX., ASH 10.0%.

NLS Cichlid Formula

[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]MAIN INGREDIENTS: [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Krill Meal, Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Amino Acids, Algae Meal, Soybean Meal, Fish Oil, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal- Sterol (D3), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine, Biotin.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Protein 34% Min., Fat 5% Min., Fiber 5% Max., Ash 9% Max., Moisture 10% Max.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Once one learns to properly read a label, and separate the wheat from the chaff (no pun intended), it shouldn't be that difficult to figure out.

Some of the various raw ingredients found in Ken's line of pellets ....
http://www.kensfish.com/kenspellets.html

Poultry By-product Meal, Hydrolyzed Feather Meal, BLOOD PORK MEAL, SOYBEAN MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, WHEAT MIDDLINGS, Soy Flour, BHT & ETHOXYQUIN (ADDED AS PRESERVATIVES).

In a number of the pellet foods, "wheat" is the main ingredient.

Ken doesn't manufacture his own line of food, he simply private labels commercial feed made by a feed mill (or mills). IMO if you prefer to feed that type of quality of feed to your fish, buy directly from a feed mill, or consider one of the various feed mill foods that are sold at local hardware stores. You'll save a considerable amount of $$$ over the long haul.

To answer your question as to how his food stacks up against NLS, IMO it's not even in the same ball park.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Nemesis - that's rather old & outdated ingredient info for the NLS label.

Here's the current ingredient list ....

Ingredients: Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Whole Wheat Flour, Whole Squid Meal, Algae Meal, Soybean Isolate, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Garlic, Vegetable and Fruit Extract (Spinach, Red & Green Cabbage, Peas, Broccoli, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Tomato, Kiwi, Apricot, Pear, Mango, Apple, Papaya, and Peach), Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal-Sterol (D3), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine, DL Alphatocophero ( E ), Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Niacin, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, L-Ascorby-2-Polyphosphate (Stable C), Choline Chloride, Copper Proteinate, Ethylenediamine dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate.

Also keep in mind that this is without even beginning to compare the micro-nutrient levels, which are considered proprietary information by New Life.

flowerpower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
NY
I've actually been using a variety of Ken's sticks. IDK if they're any better than the pellets but the ingredient are a bit different. Fewer ingredients overall and, unless, I'm missing something, the sticks don't include any poultry, pork or corn by-products.

KENS PREMIUM EARTHWORM STICKS:
INGREDIENTS: WHITE FISH MEAL, FISH PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, WHEAT FLOUR, SOY FLOUR, GLUTEN, DRIED BREWER'S YEAST, FROZEN BABY BRINE SHRIMP, PLANKTON, SHRIMP, KRILL POWDER MIX, EARTHWORMS, KELP MEAL, DRIED SPIRULINA, FISH OIL, LECITHIN. THE FOLLOWING VITAMINS/MINERAL SUPPLEMENTS A, D-3, B1, B12, CHOLINE HCL, & BIOTIN METHIONINE. VEGETABLE PROTEIN. THIAMINE ( SOURCE OF VITAMIN B1). ASORBIC ACID (SOURCE OF VITAMIN C).
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: CRUDE PROTEIN 45.0% MIN., CRUDE FAT 4.1% MIN., CRUDE FIBER 4.2% MAX., MOISTURE 8.2% MAX. ALL NATURAL INGREDIENTS, EXCEPT FOR SOME ARTIFICIAL COLORING. NO PRESERVATIVES.

KENS PREMIUM SPIRULINA STICKS:
INGREDIENTS: FISH MEAL, BREWERS DRIED YEAST, SOY FLOUR, WHEAT, OAT FLOURS AND GLUTEN, DRIED SPIRULINA ALGAE, SHRIMP MEAL, PLANKTON MEAL, DRIED KELP, FISH OIL, LECITHIN, DRIED KRILL. THE FOLLOWING VITAMINS SUPPLEMENTS: A, D-3, B12, & BIOTIN, METHIONINE, ASCORBIC ACID (SOURCE OF VITAMIN C)
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: CRUDE PROTEIN 45.0% MIN., CRUDE FAT 3.0% MIN., CRUDE FIBER 3.0% MAX., MOISTURE 8.0% MAX. ALL NATURAL INGREDIENTS, EXCEPT FOR SOME ARTIFICIAL COLORING. NO PRESERVATIVES.

KENS PREMIUM VEGETABLE STICKS:
INGREDIENTS: MIXTURE OF PLANTS AND VEGETABLES INCLUDING: SEAWEED, SPIRULINA, CARROTS, SQUASH, SPINACH. VEGETABLE OILS, SOY MEAL, YEAST, WHEAT FLOUR, VITAMIN & MINERAL SUPPLEMENT. ASORBIC ACID (SOURCE OF VITAMIN C). NATURAL AND SOME ARTIFICIAL COLORING.
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: CRUDE PROTEIN 35.0% MIN., CRUDE FAT 7.0% MIN., CRUDE FIBER 7.0% MAX., MOISTURE 8.0% MAX., ALL NATURAL INGREDIENTS, EXCEPT FOR SOME ARTIFICIAL COLORING. NO PRESERVATIVES

Sounds pretty good to me, my fish like it and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than NLS. Now, while the pellets don't sound too great, can the sticks be all that bad? Is this also feed mill stock?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It's a hell of a lot cheaper than NLS, because the raw ingredients are a hell of a lot cheaper. It's that simple. Why do you think that Hikari bumped up the wheat flour in their Betta Bio Gold, and lowered the inclusion rate of fish meal. Here's a hint - it wasn't because of global warming.

It's called the bottom line, and the reality is that some manufacturers spend far too much time watching their bottom line, instead of paying attention to what's best for the fish.

1. WHEAT FLOUR, SOY FLOUR, GLUTEN (could be corn gluten, wheat gluten or?, either way it's more starch/carbs) Also, white fish meal is comprised of processing plant waste/leftovers - mostly heads, scales, and bones.

2. SOY FLOUR, WHEAT, OAT FLOURS, GLUTEN again, more carbs/starch

I also prefer my fish to get their protein from marine sources, such as fish, krill, squid, shrimp, etc, not from grains, and not from by-products from beer brewing. (such as BREWERS DRIED YEAST)

It's not that foods such as those listed above won't get the job done, they will, just as Kibbles & Bits will for a dog. And just as with dog food, you can't judge the true value of a product by sticker price alone. Higher quality products, that are more nutrient dense, and more digestible, equates to feeding a LOT less. You can fill a fish with grains, starch, and carbs, just as you can a dog, but in the end are you really saving anything? Is this what you consider providing optimum nutrition?

I'm all for helping people save money in this hobby, so if you really aren't serious about providing your fish with optimum nutrition, then seriously consider buying in bulk from a feed mill. Trust me, if you choose a quality feed mill, your results will be just as good as what you are getting now with the food listed above, and you will save a BUNDLE of $$$$.

For some people that's good enough, I can understand that, especially in todays economy.

For myself I chose a long time ago to support a small mom & pop operation, that's based in the USA, and that places the quality of their raw ingredients first & foremost.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
If all you want is opinions, you'll find members of MFK that consider Purina foods to be best thing since sliced bread. But are they?

I believe that the cost is approx $30 for a 50lb bag, so quite impressive if all one looks at is the sticker price, and the crude protein content.

Purina Mills Aquamax Grower 600 50-lb Bag
Product Description: Aqua Max Fish Diet is a floating feed Complete for Catfish, Tilapia, Trout, Hyrid Striped Bass Yellow Perch and Red Drum.

Protein: 41% Fat 12% Fiber 4%

Ingredients: Fish Meal, Soybean Meal, Ground Corn, Poultry Meal, Fish Oil, Wheat Middlings, Hydrolyzed Poultry Feathers, Corn Gluten Meal, Blood Meal, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Dimethyl pyrimidinol Bisulfate, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphoshate (source of Vitamin C), Thiiamin MOnonitrate, Biotin, Folic Acid, Cholecalciferol, Riboflavin, nicotinic Acid, Di-Alpha Tocopheryl Acertate, Vitamin A Acetate, Ethoxyquin (A Preservative), Zinc Oxide, Cyanocobalamin, Dl-Motioning, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Slufate, Calcium Iodate, Calcium Carbonate, Cabalt Carbonate.

Look familiar?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store