Newbie: Please Help Me Plumb 210 Aqueon/AGA Twin Megaflow Pictures/Details Inside!

bjbass

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
PA
I am brand new to this hobby and I am trying to plumb my 210 Aqueon Megaflow with twin overflows. I really need all of your advice on my plumbing. I don't know what to do.

I want to glue this and start running water this weekend, so I really need your help guys!!

Here is what I have:

This is my return line. It is 3/4" coming from my Marineland Model 4 sump.

Here is a top view. I used a union adapter so I can replace the pump if it ever goes and a valve in case I want to restrict the flow by allowing some into the tank. The pump is a Max-Jet 4500.

Here is it to my bulkhead.

Here is a view of one concept I have for my drain line. It is 1". I really need help here. I wanted to use a ball valve and I have a very very short distance between the drilled hole for the drain in the tank and where it attaches to my sump. It is like 7". Here is my attempt at PVC. I had to come down and around to get the valve on due to the small space and I need to attach the elbow straight on to the drain, so I wanted some flexibility and I used spa flex, but I had to come across enough so that I could come straight at it with the spa flex as it does not bend really well.

Another view (I have to trim the spa flex a little to get it on the drain)

Here is another concept using the bulkhead that came with my Aqueon overflow accessory kit.

I used the drain hose that came with my Marineland sump, but it is too long and I had to curl it. I would obviously put hose clamps on. Would this work? Will the curl be a problem? Could I install a valve onto this hose somehow? Would a vinyl hose be better?

Would you stick with the hard plumbing I have or go with the hose? What modifications would you make?

I am not worried about all the elbows on my return line because I am going to be pushing 1240 gph on both overflows. I figure that I won't get quite that with the elbows, but my flow should be good.

BJ

DSCF0356.JPG

DSCF0357.JPG

DSCF0359.JPG

DSCF0362.JPG

DSCF0365.JPG

DSCF0368.JPG

DSCF0371.JPG

DSCF0373.JPG

fox3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
Long Island
I am not familiar with the Marineland Model 4 sump but doesn't that tank come drilled for two 3/4" returns and two 1" drains? I saw you plumbed for one.

bjbass

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
PA
fox3;4200451; said:
I am not familiar with the Marineland Model 4 sump but doesn't that tank come drilled for two 3/4" returns and two 1" drains? I saw you plumbed for one.
Yes. There is one 1" drain and 1 3/4" drain on both sides. I am just showing the one side for now and then I am going to mimic it on the other. I just need to figure out exactly how I want it to be so I can glue it and get it going this weekend.

The picture of the hose drain above is the left overflow. The other pictures are all from the right overflow.

bjbass

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
PA
Any more perspectives. Hard plumbing or soft for my drain?

I am going to plumb this weekend. Should I use clear vinyl tube instead of that bilge pump type hose that came with my sump?

david503bk

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
Mamma's house
I would use soft for drains. If the curl bothers you then just get some vinyl hoses.

bjbass

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
PA
Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I know that you used that bilge hose for yours, but you had more space to work with. I think I will probably just go with a clear vinyl hose.

fox3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
Long Island
If you decide to use clear vinyl hose go with 1-1/4" diameter. This way the barb ftg's will be about the same as the inner diameter of the 1" bulkhead.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
i personally prefer hard plumbing. and youre gonna need to get rid of that hose, its too long and will slow down your drain too much. get a short hose or use some pvc with dual union connections for easy removal

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store