Update on my KK

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Back in May when he landed from Thailand at a skinny 3".

After 10 days of TLC.

Now 5 months later at 8".

Still a very young Kamfa so hopefully he will blossom more with time. :)

fobrinkle

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
Michigan
Gorgeous fish. Quite the underbite but a great fish none the less.

FishingOut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
PA
You have turned him into a monster in 5 months man! Well done. :clap:
Where did this guy come from? Hes is an interesting kamfa. Looks a bit Monkey in the face, which is a trait I personally like. Excellent grow out, Good eye when he way young.
Nice shots too.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Thanks, I'm pretty happy with him so far.

I feed the 3mm Large Fish formula, but any NLS product will give the same results. The fish came from Pat (rainnybetta) - sold as King Kamfa, but I guess only time will tell if he becomes a king or not. :)

BTW - a buddy of mine took the pics, thanks again Ryan!
My camera blows ....

Boydo

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2006
Alberta, Canada
www.shineaquatics.ca
Superb Specimen! :headbang2

The growth rate and colors in this guy are really amazing! A great example of the results of feeding NLS food - simply spectacular.

I can't wait to see the update pictures as this guy grows.
:)

cichlid fiend

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2008
New Jersey
Thats nice(in my chinese man from the Derrick Rose commercial)!!!

hamfist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Southampton, UK
Amazing colours !!! Lovely, lovely FH. I love seeing progression pics of how these guys grow. Never fails to amaze me how they thicken up and grow, especially in the first couple of weeks.

RD. can you educate me. I'm still really trying to get a better handle on FH i.d.. Now your fish seems to have ZZ (red eyes, underslung jaw, rear end body shape) and kamfa (colouring, smallish flat face, dorsal caudal and anal fins) traits to my uneducated eye. Would it be fair to describe him as a ZZkamfa ?

Wish I could get a better hold on it all. It does my head in sometimes !!!!!!!!!!

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
His eyes are actually orange, not red. The interesting part is the day that this fish landed his eyes were white, and by the next day they had shifted to orange.

As far as the name game, with FH I simply go by what the breeder calls the fish. If he calls it a Oranged Eyed Mo Fo, that's fine by me, as the chances of ever knowing with 100% certainty what the genetic make up is of each so called "strain" of FH is like playing genetic Russian roulette.
The ZZ traits that one might see in a fish could have come from one of the parents, or several generations back. Only the breeder would know when or where ZZ had been introduced. As far as that goes, they may not even know.

Typically when it comes to creating new hybrid strains of fish in aquaculture, the goal is to create a strain that will throw 100% of the offspring exactly like the parents. As an example, in African cichlids the Red Zebra OB strain is a man made morph. I know the person that created it many years ago and he spent many years developing that strain & didn't release it to the public until his fish bred 99.99% true. Others who created hybrid crosses released them too early, and every once in a while you end up with some offspring that look nothing like the parents, but look exactly like the original fish used to create the new strain.

With FH's it doesn't work that way (as in same strain parents do not typically breed true), it's all a random mumbo jumbo of genes, which is why in a spawn of 200-300 fry there's no telling with any real certainty what they will all end up looking like when they mature.

It's also why out of a spawn that size you may only end up with a few real masterpieces, or none at all. It's genetic Russian roulette, and the odds are not always in the houses favor. Certainly many strains of FH have been worked with enough to fix certain traits in each strain, but there will always be juvies that are genetic throw backs to earlier generations.

The fish below is a prime example. Sold by a Thai breeder as a "Red Diamond". If I told people that I bought it from a breeder in Vietnam, and it was sold to me as a Tan King, who could argue?
It could very well be a ZZ x Kamfa, and the Thai breeder simply thought that the name "Red Diamond" added some sex appeal, and removed the chance of his Thai fish being confused with a strain originally created by a breeder in 'Nam.

My advice, give your brain a rest, when it comes to FH it's not worth nit picking over strains or names. Just keep the fish that you personally like the most. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store