my simplest diy filter to date

leather

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2010
Pennsylvania
I built my simplest sump filter so far last night. It is on my 30 long growout, with a 500 gph pump and a diy pvc overflow. I could have easily upsized the inlet tube to the sock but made it 3/4 because that is what is coming from the tank. The sock is hung on a 6 inch pvc ty pipe cap (because it has a ring to tie to) The 6 inch cap is drilled and tapped for 1 inch, a 1 inch hole is drilled in the side of cap in case the sock blocks up, the 1 inch pipe is supported by a 1/2 inch pipe with a tee and also hanging on a 3/4 inch bulkhead where it comes into the container. The bio filter is just bags of pond matrix so I can swap them from sump to sump when starting up for instant cycling. There is an unseen in pics 3/4 overflow in the sump for 1 gph constant water change and power loss.

Last pic is the inhabitant of current tank, my new future monster. He replaced my last one that I lost awhile ago to a tragic accident. A powerhead lost its prestrainer and he got pulled into it. Had to be the saddest moment in fishkeeping to me.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...nt.php?attachmentid=604434&stc=1&d=1302709805

300_5839.JPG

300_5835.JPG

300_5836.JPG

300_5840.JPG

leather

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2010
Pennsylvania
Here is a quick view of the overflow without taking it out of the tank, I left the strainer of for now because this guy is too big to be a problem already, for smaller fish I use a tee on the top and dual strainers, it cuts down the flow though.
To the right you can see my 1 gph restrictor (just a simple gardening restrictor) and my heater, I run on an external controller.
Sorry, mfk rotated my pic and I don't know how to fix it.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=604465&stc=1&d=1302712064

300_5843.JPG

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
I'd screen that anyway. It would suffocate him or worse in the off chance he decided to swim across it.

Nice build! You forgot the word "good" in the title. As it stands, your DIY has no chance in my ugly filter contest. :D

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
A way to make it even simpler would be to convert it from a sump to a dump filter by:

- Placing it on top of the tank
- Drilling a couple of holes in the bottom of the bin, and
- Replacing the overflow with a pump in the tank

I'd also add a bunch more bio material to the filter (scrubbies, etc.).

Matt

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
Elegantly simple, I like it a lot.

I never thought of the fact that drawstring bags can be placed horizontally (or diagonally, as you did) rather than just vertically.

If you don't mind, I would love it if you would post a couple photos and a quick explanation on my filter sock thread:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406140&page=4

Thanks!

leather

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2010
Pennsylvania
dogofwar;5046319; said:
A way to make it even simpler would be to convert it from a sump to a dump filter by:

- Placing it on top of the tank
- Drilling a couple of holes in the bottom of the bin, and
- Replacing the overflow with a pump in the tank

I'd also add a bunch more bio material to the filter (scrubbies, etc.).

Matt
It would be cool to put it above the tank, but its actually larger than the tank.

leather

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2010
Pennsylvania
knifegill;5046198; said:
I'd screen that anyway. It would suffocate him or worse in the off chance he decided to swim across it.

Nice build! You forgot the word "good" in the title. As it stands, your DIY has no chance in my ugly filter contest. :D
I'll probably make a bigger screen for it than what I have (too restrictive) but the cat is actually too large for it to be a problem. To give you an idea he is large enough already to eat a whole shrimp in one gulp.

leather

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2010
Pennsylvania
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store