Freshwater sump for my 150.

fish_n_vw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Tacoma Wa.
Alright so I picked up a 150 gallon tank from a guy who had it as a reef tank. It is drilled has an overflow box, and a 30 gallon sump under it. I have loads of questions. I am a canister filter guy, have a ehiem 2180, and a few rena xp2s. I have also used the great and amazing auquaclears, and sponge filters. All of these are systems I am very familiar with. But a sump... this is new. So first of all I have some pictures, and I will refer back to them several times during the course of me asking my questions so let me load those up.

K I think that worked. So first off, the overflow is really loud. It sounds like a water fall. Is it ok to throw a bunch of bio balls into the overflow to disperse the water as its going down to the sump? I am afraid that if I put anything in there that it will flood the tank. Second, as hopefully you can tell from the third picture there is a little drawer right above the bio ball chamber. What should I put in there. I want some kind of a polishing pad or a few of them to clean up the clearity of the water. But I feer that it will quikly clog and overfill the little chamber and flood the dining room. Lastly, should there be anything in the bottom chamber? I was thinking about puting some old coral in there to raise the ph a little. Would this have any positive or negitive affect on the filtration system?

Sorry I know its a lot of questions but I have never worked with a sump before. Hopefully I can grab jk47s' attention. I know he knows sumps very well, but I lost his number. Any help please.

Oh ps, is it ok to build a little pre filter to sit right inside the overflow so that the water goes through some kind of a screen material before it goes down? Or will this also glog the system and cause a flood. Sorry, I'm scared of flooding. Thanks , ahead of time.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1329234363346.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1329234386567.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1329234420527.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1329234447068.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1329234466818.jpg

rokit_armor

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
kansas
Bioballs in the overflow may reduce the sound a bit, but I would look into Durso stand pipes to reduce the noise from your overflow.
You could also put some basic filtration in the drawer, or build an overflow to divert extra water buildup past the filter if it gets too clogged.
I don't have durso stand pipes on my 200, but I have the perforated pipe with a sponge prefilter on it. If the prefilter clogs, the water level in the overflow box just raises a bit and drains over the prefilter bypassing it. I'm not sure if you could use a prefilter with a durso standpipe, you'd have to ask some of the others here who use them.

fish_n_vw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Tacoma Wa.
Alright thanks. I think the bioball thing would reduce the noise drasticlly. Right now its pretty loud. The durso pipes sounds like it would be a great idea, but with it all put together allready, and with there being two bulkhreads in the overflow, I think it would be difficult to get the tubes in. So you think I should be ok to put like some filter floss or something like that in the "drawer"? That should really start to clear the water. I just don't want to restrict flow. As it is right now that pump seems to be pushing a lot of water. I'm not sure how much. But its a quiet one from like 20 years ago. It was with the tank, and the guy said it worked great on his reef. So I assumed it would be plenty for freshwater. Thanks for the response. I am hoping to get a fare amount of feedback and ideas from others. And then go from there. Thanks.

fish_n_vw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Tacoma Wa.
quiet one grundfos up15-42f. That's the type of pump it is. It says 1/25 hp. But I can't find a gph rateing. It seems to flow a lot of water though.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Hey bro, I can't see your pics on my iPhone but from the sounds of it you might want to install a herbie in your overflow. Shoot me a PM if you want, would be happy to walk you through it all or maybe even come up and see you and Shawn.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mike King

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Massachusetts
above the bio chamber is for a pre filter to catch large waste from getting trapped in the bio balls. just put in some pre filter foam sheets and change them out often.

fish_n_vw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Tacoma Wa.
Thank you mike. Clockwork, you and jk47 have to plan a trip up here sometime. You guys can pick up fishman09 in oly on the way. And we can toss back a few here and at madness' house. I'm sure he would love the company. We can invite dmd and make it a gathering of the c/s american cichlid nerds... it'll be a blast. You are more then welcome to come up and look things over same with jk. These sump things are a bit foreign to me, like american cars.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Thanks, will definitely try to do that. As far as your sump, I'd definitely try the herbie, it's going to be better than any durso IMO. You will need a gate valve though. It's an overflow tower right? With two bulkheads drilled on the bottom floor panel of the tank in the overflow?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fish_n_vw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Tacoma Wa.
Hey clockwork yes its a tower. With two holes in the bottom. I sent you a pm with my number, text or call. I am intrested in this "herbie".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store