Bought a rhom 21.99$!

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Went to lfs called the reef half inch rhoms for 23.99 but i get employee discount, a little pricey still but any good advice for a 1/2" baby rhom living in a 10gal solo? Diet? Temp? Etc?

Thanks alot

Pics dont work on my android app so by tomorrow for sure

#1 S. Vettel

DarthRhom

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2006
New Jersey
I'd go with blood worms or tubifex at that size. Try and get him on pellets. Quarantine some guppies will work as well. Temp just keep it consistent between 78*F or a little higher. That 10 gallon tank is only gonna hold you for a few months or so, a 40 breeder would last you a long time but not forever.

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
mines almost two years old and still alittle over 4 inches.

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
Lol I'm not far behind you. I'll have to measure but I think it's prob 5 inches after 1.5 years. It's starting to thicken up instead of gaining length

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Wow thats not as fast as a red belly p!

I bought hikari tublifex and o1 bloodworms plus nls .5 sinking pellets for him, ive never had a fish this small, unfortunatly the temp dropped 5° over nite down to 70, i cant control the heater i have in this 10 so i have to go buy a smaller one i guess!

Feeding schedule? 3x per day?

Thanks alot and pics when i go to my gf and use her internet!

#1 S. Vettel

Sm0ke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
Outworld
Serras grow incredibly slow. Depending on the size you get them at, you could experience a growth spurt, but then it will slow down again. For example, if you got that rhom at about 5-6inches, you might get a growth spurt over about 2 years that could make him reach around 8-9". However, since he is 0.5 inches, it might be around 3-5 years before he hits 5-6 inches... And no one's ever been able to grow out a rhom from juvie size to monster size (15"+).... so if you want a big Rhom, you're better off buying them big. Post up some pics of this killer.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Serras grow incredibly slow. Depending on the size you get them at, you could experience a growth spurt, but then it will slow down again. For example, if you got that rhom at about 5-6inches, you might get a growth spurt over about 2 years that could make him reach around 8-9". However, since he is 0.5 inches, it might be around 3-5 years before he hits 5-6 inches... And no one's ever been able to grow out a rhom from juvie size to monster size (15"+).... so if you want a big Rhom, you're better off buying them big. Post up some pics of this killer.
So your saying when they grow out in the wild their essentially more healthy and bigger? Thus making wild caught rohms larger? That is obvious and id rather have him get around 12-14" so he can live in my 90gal solo and i want to raise him from a baby, right now in my 10gal i can barely find him, and the small 20gal hob is almost too much for him. I threw about a handful of seeded bio max in the hob w/ no filter pad or carbon and filled it up w/ tap+prime and 24 hours later my api mtk reads 0ammonia 0nitrite and 5ppm nitrate so im very happy! Just have to figure out a name

#1 S. Vettel

Sm0ke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
Outworld
I don't see anything wrong with that tank size. He's tiny. Just keep an eye on water params incase you get any spikes, but as long as he's eating you should be fine. When I had baby rhoms they would love live blackworms... but as long as he's eating I think you're good. I love how aggressive they are even though they're that tiny.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store