One man's junk......

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Found and bought a 6ft 80gal long tank and stand for sale for $50, listed as in rough shape.
It had been attempted to be repaired by siliconing a plastic sheet over the bottom, which didn't work, so I ripped the plastic off, and this is the bottom.

I had found some 4ft glass shelves in the alley few weeks ago (maybe 7/16 glass thickness), and trimmed off 3" to fit the width of the tank. Siliconed the shelf over the cracked end.

The cracked bottom was a bit jagged to spread some silicone over the cracks a s a buffer.

Then drilled it, anticipating the seal will work.

Did a water change on a tank yesterday, and used the old water to fill the repaired tank a little over 50%

So far no leaks, to be continued.

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
Looks rough and will take allot if work but really cool dimensions

Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
How did you cut the piece of glass? Was it difficult? Just wondering since I'll be needing to cut some 3/8" plate glass soon.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Bought a glass cutter from a hardware store, used an old metal bed frame as a straight edge, and went at it. After a few cuts, tapped the edge a few times, and used a channel locks to break away the excess, and took off the most jagged pieces with a rotary tool cutter'
Even after that, it was pretty jagged, but I believe that helps adhere the silicone and tank sides, and bottom to each other.
It was not difficult, just a bit time consuming, and messy.
Safety glasses a absolute necessity.
How did you cut the piece of glass? Was it difficult? Just wondering since I'll be needing to cut some 3/8" plate glass soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store