amphilophus amarillo from fry to 7incher...

Carg R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Texas
I picked this guy up at our local fish club's bi-annual fish auction back in October 2006. There were two little fish (1.5 inchers) in the bag and one of them had gone belly up (happens sometimes) as a result no one was bidding. I am acquainted with the seller and I had known what he had brought, so I bid... $1.00 and no one else spoke up :) . $1.00 for a f2 Amphilophus amarilla

I also got what may soon become a pair of herchthys pearsei (f1) for $4.00 :)

When he spars with my polleni the bars come in very nicely, but I've not been able to get a decent shot of that yet-maybe later.

First picture was from beginning of November 2006, January, March, and April 2007.

santoury

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Massachusetts
Gorgeous! How's his temperament?

Carg R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Texas
santoury;809192; said:
Gorgeous! How's his temperament?

Well, he's the king of the tank, but his tanks mates all seem to have their fins and know their place and rank. The polleni (7-8 incher) is the only fish that doesn't stay out of his way.

He doesn't pester any tank mate other then the occassional push(3 snooks, 2 venustus -male/female, 4 h. nicaraguensis-two appear to be pairing off, and algea eater & johanni crenicichla).

Carg R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Texas
Here are a few recent pics of this guy. All of them were taken tonight after I noticed him threatening his reflection. He really didn't like me pestering him with the magfloat scraper.

I wonder how he'd look if I had a female for him?

Carg R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Texas
I picked him up last October and he was about 1.5inches, and he's now just over 7 inches from lips to caudal peduncle.

When I picked him up at the great salt lake aquarium society auction, the seller said it was an F2 Amphilophus Amarillo from Lake Xiloa, Nicaragua. According to the site below they max out around 15cm...I guess he's getting higher protein food then what he'd find in the lake.

http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/Countr...=Nicaragua&Genus=Amphilophus&Species=amarillo

nuth88

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2006
Firestone, Colorado
Sweet Looking Amarillo!!!

Love the red!

Carg R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Texas
nuth88;1121111; said:
Sweet Looking Amarillo!!!

Love the red!
Thanks, I happy with the red as well, here is one of my favorite photos of this guy from a few months back when I caught him "blushing".

Not showing the bars, but more a red base then the "orange" he was showing last night. This was 4-5 months ago, so I think the orange is closer to his adult color, but it's been a nice show watching him grow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store