180g Stocking Ideas

HumuhumuFan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2021
Good afternoon everyone. When I was a youngster ( along time ago) I kept a pair of Oscars in a 55g for several years. Although I still have that 55g I would never keep Oscars in a tank that small again. I'm setting up a 180g this summer and was thinking about this for a stock list:

2x Oscars
2x Severums
1x Green Terror
1x Jack Dempsey
Maybe a few Firemouths/Convicts

I know a 180g isn't as big as it seems, is this too much?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Let's see you have both Central and South American fish on that list that require completely different water peramaters for a healthy life.
So let's take a step back and figure out your base water peramaters, then we can pick fish that will thrive in your water. If you live in a city in America, and will be using tap water for your water changes. It's required by law that they publish a water quality report yearly, and most will have a website as well. With this we can get the minimal basics, such as PH and hardness. If using a well, you can buy a test kit and get the results.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Good afternoon everyone. When I was a youngster ( along time ago) I kept a pair of Oscars in a 55g for several years. Although I still have that 55g I would never keep Oscars in a tank that small again. I'm setting up a 180g this summer and was thinking about this for a stock list:

2x Oscars
2x Severums
1x Green Terror
1x Jack Dempsey
Maybe a few Firemouths/Convicts

I know a 180g isn't as big as it seems, is this too much?
Definitely too much. Here are some options based off your current list that would be more appropriate:

You could do 2 severums with dithers and maybe some other fish

1 Oscar with a catfish

1 Green Terror with a catfish

1 Jack Dempsey, 1 Convict, and some dithers, catfish and maybe a few others.

HumuhumuFan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2021
Thanks for the honest feedback everyone. I'll probably skip the 180 and get a get smaller tank for just 1 jack dempsey. It doesn't seem worthwhile based on those on stocking options.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
A 180 would be nice with a group of young JDs and a group of Thorichthys w/ some tetras, mollies or swordtails, and a few plecos.. You can always thin out the JDs once a pair forms or keep a harem if you have more females, and sell or trade in extras at a LFS.. May get bored w/ just a JD in a smaller (75G) tank..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store