A few Tegu questions

silvertip0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2010
hudson valley ny
I have a few questions about Tegus before I get one so here they are:
Can I have 2 females living together(starting as hatchlings)?
What size tank would be needed for 2 hatchlings?
Could 2 females live in a 8x4x4(lxwxh) cage?
Could a keep an Argentine black and white with an Argentine red?
I read that you should not hand feed Tegus so the don't associate your hand with food, would wearing a colored glove make them associate the color with food or would it still associate hand with food?
Do adult Tegus need UV lights too or just hatchlings?
What is the best substrate for them?
Any tips with their care and handling?
Thanks for any help

Masa06

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
All tegus need UV ;)

brooklynboy521

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2010
United States
silvertip0;4856561; said:
I have a few questions about Tegus before I get one so here they are:
I read that you should not hand feed Tegus so the don't associate your hand with food, would wearing a colored glove make them associate the color with food or would it still associate hand with food?
Thanks for any help
Two females could live in a 8x4 but i personally would do a 10x4. 4 foot high is too high, they are ground dwellers and don't climb. Also most UV bulbs only reach 18 inches. ALL TEGUS NEED UV. Best substrate is Cypress mulch or garden soil (no fertilizers). Don't worry bout glove color or anything, just feed in a separate container.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Having so many question shows you still have a good bit of research to do, Tegus are a big commitment so definitely do your homework…
It sounds like you are asking about Argentinean Black & White Tegus, and not Colombian Black & Gold/White Tegus. I have an ‘08 Arg B&W male that is an amazing animal.

As hatchlings, they should get along marvelously. As they grow/mature, there is a good chance they will get along fine, although housing animals together always comes with risk. Personally, I would want each Tegu to have it’s own enclosure that is large enough to house it long term, then let the Tegus ‘free roam’ together.

A 4’ x 2’ enclosure will work for 1 or 2 Tegus for their first summer, larger will be needed for their second summer.

I would suspect an 8’ x 4’ enclosure would be large enough for two females, although this comes with the risk of not having separate enclosures. I would consider building stackable enclosures allowing each one to have it’s own space.

Keeping a red and a B&W together will work just as well as keeping two Reds together or keeping two B&Ws together.

Hand feeding in any way leads the Tegu to associate your hand with food. Wearing colored gloves may minimize the association slightly, but I would consider the cons to far outweigh the pros.

Tegus need UVB throughout their lives.

As Hatchlings, I like EcoEarth (pulverized Coco Fiber). It resists mold/mildew, retains moisture and is ground small enough to minimize concern of impaction. On the down side it is a bit expensive. For larger enclosures/Tegus I prefer Cypress Mulch. It also resists mold/mildew, also retains moisture and is very inexpensive. The only downside is it is large enough to cause impaction if ingested, so be cautious feeding.

Too small of an enclosure will increased stress, thus increasing aggression.

Arg B&W Tegus can make amazing pets. They can become truly puppy tame if peoperly kept & cared for. But they are a big commitment. Keep in mind this will become a 3'+, 6+ lb animal that can do great damage if not kept tame. Keeping two will more than double the work & risk.

I simply couldn't be happier with my Tegu. He is a 50" 10+ lb big sweetie. He is also spoiled rotten with a healthy diet, ample space, near daily interaction, etc.

Something else to keep in mind is that tegus, if properly cared for, will live 15~25 years. So do not only consider the responsibility you are undertaking now, but the one you will have to maintain for a very long time.

silvertip0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2010
hudson valley ny
I have been reading many care sheets and just wanted to ask some questions to double check what I was reading. I was thinking about 4ft high because I wanted to do 1ft of substrate because they like to burrow so that would leave them 3ft so I did not want to only leave them 2ft because that is too small IMO. I try to give them a few hours out of the enclosure each day or every other when they are older if I can litter train them. I'm not sure how to train them to use the litter, is it similar to a cat? I was thinking I could try and build and outdoor enclosure but I'm not sure if it would work because in the summer it is high 70's to low 90's is there anyway I could set up something that could keep them at a better temp or just forget about an outdoor enclosure? Also something I forgot to ask before was on a few care sheets it said eggs were fine but I also found one that said only feed eggs on occasion, which is true?

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
silvertip0;4858196; said:
I have been reading many care sheets and just wanted to ask some questions to double check what I was reading.
I hope I didn't sound discouraging the way I started my last post. It's quite evident you are doing the proper footwork to educate yourself on Tegus and I commend you for that! I only made that point to encourage you on the learning path. While no amount of reading will ever equate to personal experience, ample research will definately improve your personal experience...

I was thinking about 4ft high because I wanted to do 1ft of substrate because they like to burrow so that would leave them 3ft so I did not want to only leave them 2ft because that is too small IMO.
My enclosure is 3.5' tall. I chose this height because my enclosure is also a stand for a fish tank and 3.5' is my desired height for that tank...

1' of mulch is more than even a huge adult male will need. I built my enclosure to be able to hold up to 12" of mulch, but only started off using 9". I soon realized that 9" was overkill as well. I ended up using 6~8" of mulch spread evenly across the enclosure, then he burrowed and made mounds to suit his desires.

Do keep in mind that even the best UVB lamps are limited on how far they can be placed from the animal. UVB erodes over distance, so the closer it is to your Tegus basking area the more effective it will be.

In my enclosure, I built a shelf that is 12" above the substrate. My flourescent UVB bulb is mounted to the underside of that shelf making the actual bulb about 8" from my Tegus back while basking beneath it.

There is nothing wrong with a 4' tall enclosure, just be sure to place the UVB lamps properly to ensure they are still effective. Also, as I mentinoed, I have a shelf in my Tegus enclosure and ne never uses it.

I try to give them a few hours out of the enclosure each day or every other when they are older if I can litter train them. I'm not sure how to train them to use the litter, is it similar to a cat?
Personally, I do not believe that a Tegu can be 'potty trained' to any degree. That being said, I do know of a few people who claim they have potty trained theirs.

It is possible to learn your tegus preferences and habits, then work with those preferences and habits to minimize "accidents". For example, my Tegu will not poop in his enclosure. Thus I know everytime I let him out, within 15 minutes he will poop. So every time I let him out, we go straight to the bathroom. I usually put him in the shower and run warm water over him until he poops there. If not I at least leave him on the tiled floor until he poops where it can more easily be cleaned. Tegu poop stains carpet...

I was thinking I could try and build and outdoor enclosure but I'm not sure if it would work because in the summer it is high 70's to low 90's is there anyway I could set up something that could keep them at a better temp or just forget about an outdoor enclosure?
I think an outdoor enclosure is a great idea! I live in Char NC and my Tegu lives outside for most of the summer. when the temperature gets over 95*F he looks for a cool place to hide, but he really appreciates the cooler hours basking in morning sun.

Also something I forgot to ask before was on a few care sheets it said eggs were fine but I also found one that said only feed eggs on occasion, which is true?
Keep in mind there is a HUGE differences between a fertilized egg and an unfertilized egg...

In the wild, tegus will very commonly raid a nest and eat fertilized eggs. This is a marveous source of nutrients.

Unfertilized eggs are quite different though. I've read several rather in depth 'studies' on this subject and while I cannot quote figures and list detailed fact... the process of cooking an unfertilized egg (I suggest scrambled or soft boiled) neutralizes one "bad chemical" found in the eggs making them much better for reptile consumption.

Be cautious reading "scientific studies" performed by non-scientists. It's easy for us common folks to overlook a detail that has a major impact. Such as cooking an egg may neutralize a chemical that exists in the uncooked egg...

silvertip0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2010
hudson valley ny
I think I am going to start out with just one. I want to get one from Varnyard but I can't decide if I am going to a Red or Black & White. I think I may try to keep it out of hibernation because I read on several care sheets that said that it is fine but I'm not 100% sure if I will, what do you think would it be okay?

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
silvertip0;4863309; said:
I think I am going to start out with just one. I want to get one from Varnyard but I can't decide if I am going to a Red or Black & White. I think I may try to keep it out of hibernation because I read on several care sheets that said that it is fine but I'm not 100% sure if I will, what do you think would it be okay?
My approach has been... to observe my Tegu and provide conditions that support him doing what he seems to want to do...

Thus, when he slows down eating and starts sleeping longer hours, I cool his enclosure and feed less... When his activity levels pick up, I increase his heat and feed more... When he claws at his door I let him free roam and take him around town with me (weather permitting)... when he ignores me and basks I leave him alone...

This approach has worked marvelous for me and my Tegu seems to be very happy with it as well...

If the Tegu's nature is telling him to sleep, and we artificially increase heat/light, this can cause stress on the Tegu. A stressed Tegu is much more likely to show aggression. Likewise if he wants to be active, but is not provided with enough heat/light, this can also cause stress resulting in aggression. Keeping in mind stress is worse for our Tegus than aggression is on us...

Just for reference... '08~'09 winter my Tegu slept solid (uninterrupted) from Nov~May... '09~'10 winter he slowed down in activity but only "hibernated" for 6 weeks... '10~'11 winter he slowed down in activity but did not "hibernate" at all...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store