Abnormal Chao Phraya catfish

ILOVESHARKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2021
Malaysia
I got 2 abnormal Chao Phraya catfish/Paroon sharks a week ago, it turns out I hit the jackpot, 1st one does not had an eye, while the 1st O
ne is long body with undeveloped fins as well, bought this from a fish fry supplier dunno this batch is abnormal that it will had a short body as well
IMG_20240330_151646.jpgIMG_20240330_151639.jpgIMG_20240330_151514.jpgIMG_20240330_151504.jpg

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I believe the ornamental fish trade is supplied with culled paroon sharks from the food fish farms in SEA. This means we get the refuse, garbage, dinks, runts, deformed, injured, slow growing, small growing, etc. fish of poor genetics of varying degree. I also believe they will prove to be more prone to disease and shorter-lived too.

I know exceedingly little about the sb fish, how early one could tell that their fish is a sb. I'd guess from birth, as I can't picture their backbone folding after it is formed and ossified, but then again, I am guessing based on my ignorance.

ILOVESHARKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2021
Malaysia
I believe the ornamental fish trade is supplied with culled paroon sharks from the food fish farms in SEA. This means we get the refuse, garbage, dinks, runts, deformed, injured, slow growing, small growing, etc. fish of poor genetics of varying degree. I also believe they will prove to be more prone to disease and shorter-lived too.

I know exceedingly little about the sb fish, how early one could tell that their fish is a sb. I'd guess from birth, as I can't picture their backbone folding after it is formed and ossified, but then again, I am guessing based on my ignorance.
yes, in my opinion i also saw abnormal iridescent sharks and black ear catfishes too, some had a small eye or had slow growing rate, but most paroons in malaysia fish shops are in good quality, if they found the good supplier

ILOVESHARKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2021
Malaysia
yes, in my opinion i also saw abnormal iridescent sharks and black ear catfishes too, some had a small eye or had slow growing rate, but most paroons in malaysia fish shops are in good quality, if they found the good supplier
[/QUOTE
like the iridescent shark can have different prices depending on their quality, i saw some sell like 50 cents, which looks skinny, but now my nearby fish shop sells around RM 6 or 8, quite expensive these are quite greater, and they are fed well too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store