Albino Ruby Oscar

quikksilver8

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2009
Clearwater
Hey everyone i was my lfs the other day looking for an albino oscar and the guy offered to order me a 5-6 inch albino ruby oscar. He told me they are a new breed and Florda bred. Does anyone have any idea what hes talking about. The fish cost about $40. He said he had never seen one either.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I would be very cautious ordering something like this sight unseen...

Anyone can make up a fancy name for a common fish/morph and jack the price up...

I do know there have been some very red Oscars bred in the last few years...

You may get a very common Lutino (often referred to as albino) red Oscar which at $40 is very overly priced... you may get a "bloody red" Oscar which at $40 is an amazing price... you may get something in between which may be a good deal and may not...

fishkeeper25

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2009
montreal
nc_nutcase;3020889; said:
I would be very cautious ordering something like this sight unseen...

Anyone can make up a fancy name for a common fish/morph and jack the price up...

I do know there have been some very red Oscars bred in the last few years...

You may get a very common Lutino (often referred to as albino) red Oscar which at $40 is very overly priced... you may get a "bloody red" Oscar which at $40 is an amazing price... you may get something in between which may be a good deal and may not...
x2

quikksilver8

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2009
Clearwater
i ordered it even though i havent seen, it might end up being a dumb move but ill see and post some pics. U guys can tell me if hes worth the $30 i get him tomorrow

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
quikksilver8;3022560; said:
ok i just checked my voicemail and the guy said its about 5-6 inches and his exact words were that it was the nicest oscar he has ever seen. He said that from its eyes back it was completely red fins and all.

if found this youtube video and hope that it looks like this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8obOvRPIrxI&feature=related
the one in that vid is incredibly nice...be sure to put up some pics as soon as you get him home. :)

quikksilver8

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2009
Clearwater
ok so i just got him home in my tank and he's eery bit as awesome as the guy described. Hes actually nicer than the one in that video. Mine has less white on it and is a brighter red/salmon color. only think is his fins are a lil frayed but it seem to be his tank now so they'll grow back fine. I'll try to get some pics up if i can figure it out. verry excited i think it was worth the $32 and hes about 6 to 6.5 inches. everything was better than i expected.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store