Another dog biting story

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Over 90% of the time I side with the humans over the dog. However this one is different

Pets alive told the family not to put the 2 year kid with the dog. But the family being stupid...didn't listen. Sure enough the 2 year found the trigger point that most 2 years do with dogs and the dog snapped to defend itself.

Now the family demanded the dog be put down and a Judge has ordered it.

While I feel for the kid as he and any 2 year old don't know any better. The family should be banned from every owning dogs again.

AUSTIN -- A few weeks after a dog bit a toddler at Austin Pets Alive!, a judge ruled the shelter must euthanize the dog.

The case started on Sept. 22 when a family brought their 2-year-old son with them to pick out a dog at Austin Pets Alive!. The family went into the dog pen, where up to five dogs at a time can play openly and interact with visitors.

According to the family’s lawyer, the child can be seen on surveillance video playing with the lab, Neville, without any incident. When the child attempted to hug the dog, the lawyer said Neville displayed aggressive behavior and bit the small child in the face. The child was rushed to the hospital where doctors gave him 16 stitches.

Pet of the Week - LeonKVUE

According to Austin Pets Alive!, however, the parents were asked to not put their child on the ground with the dogs in the first place.

“Common sense dictates: don’t have a child loose running around because no dog is dog-proof,” said APA! Canine Behavior Manager Mike Kaviani. “The staff did inform them on a few instances to please not let the child down.”

The family’s lawyer told KVUE they were never told to allow their child on the ground with the dogs.

APA! would not release the surveillance video, but Kaviana describes what he said it shows, “The child hugging the dog on the back and kind of shaking him, and then going to hug him again and then Neville turned and bites the first thing in range, which is unfortunately his face.”

According to APA! staff and volunteers, Neville had never displayed aggressive behavior before.

Austin Municipal Judge Ferdinand Clervi ruled Wednesday that Neville must be euthanized in 10 days.

“We’re really saddened that our options are so limited now for Neville; that we’ve been told the dog has to be killed,” said Kaviani. “We’re outraged; we don’t believe this is a dangerous dog at all.”

The lawyer for the victim’s family said they plan on filing a claim against Austin Pets Alive! for “exposing their child to a dangerous dog.”

Austin Pets Alive! announced Thursday evening it has started a petition calling for Neville to be saved and placed in a home outside Travis County.
http://www.kvue.com/story/news/crim...escue-dog-bit-child-must-euthanized/73610520/

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I filled out the petition against killing the dog. Parents need to be parents and stop blaming everyone else for this kind of thing.
It's all about accountability and responsibility...Do you live near the area where the situation took place?

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
It's all about accountability and responsibility...Do you live near the area where the situation took place?
I doubt he does. This happened in my neighborhood of Austin, Texas. His profile below his Avatar says he's from Canada.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I could add to this but I don't want to involve politics and the other nasties that are involved with him.
Understood...and on my phone there is no location info given under the avatar.I went back to the link and saw the petition down at the bottom of the page.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I don't believe it maters where I live? when talking about this subject?
Are you asking a question or making a statement?.....
There was a reason I asked the question and it was because I did not notice the petition in the link until I went back saw it at the bottom.I thought there was a local petition or something....anyhow,I'm not sure what that will do to change a judge's ruling.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I first heard about it today from a local radio station then googled it online to find an article.

CORVETTE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
CALGARY, ALBERTA, CANADA
Well its kind of a statement that could be interpreted as a question....lol that doesn't help does it.
I'm not sure it will change anything either. Just seems to me that parents need to take some responsibility. I find these days its really easy for some to blame others for there own short comings.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Well its kind of a statement that could be interpreted as a question....lol that doesn't help does it.
I'm not sure it will change anything either..
I wasn't sure how or what to interpret it as with the question marks and all but anyhow,I don't see that petition accomplishing anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store