Arapaima and Mealworms

Stinkiray

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2009
Spain
I have an Arapaima that's about 15". It was fed feeder fishes for the first few months, and because feeders have a notorious reputation for being infected with diseases and all, I decided to feed it with mealworms instead.

But then I noticed something. Normally, it would take about more than 5 feeders before the arapaima shows an obvious buldge in it's stomach. With mealworms, it only takes 2 or 3 and sometimes just one!

Can someone tell me what's going on? Is the mealworm not good for the arapaima because it's harder to digest or something?:confused:

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
my UNEDUCATED guess would be that meal worms are a greater workload for the digestive track. they do have a harder external cover and probably make digestion more of a challenge but that does not mean that meal worms are BAD for fish, especially a fish such as Arapaima. as long as the creature is digesting whatever you feed it, it's OK. go for it! a bowl of beefstock soup is easier for humans to digest when compared to a steak, but they both are sources of protein that are good for the body. it does not necessarily mean the steak is bad.

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
phillydog1958;3429465; said:
my UNEDUCATED guess would be that meal worms are a greater workload for the digestive track. they do have a harder external cover and probably make digestion more of a challenge but that does not mean that meal worms are BAD for fish, especially a fish such as Arapaima. as long as the creature is digesting whatever you feed it, it's OK. go for it! a bowl of beefstock soup is easier for humans to digest when compared to a steak, but they both are sources of protein that are good for the body. it does not necessarily mean the steak is bad.

it probbaly takes the gastric acids longer to break down the hard exterior of a meal worm versus the soft exterior of a feeder.

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
phillydog1958;3429467; said:
it probbaly takes the gastric acids longer to break down the hard exterior of a meal worm versus the soft exterior of a feeder.
through evolution, the arapaima has been able to survive by being a hearty fish that can eat a variety of foods that some fish probably would have a difficult time digesting.

Stinkiray

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2009
Spain
Thanks for the info. I guess I should work out a schedule and feed him accordingly to make sure he doesn't starve and won't get bloated at the same time.

GiNnY 01

Feeder Fish
Sep 6, 2009
SUFFERN,NEW YORK
i would probably switch over to frozen prawns of freez dried krill....they supply just as much protien and would probably be easier to digest....also would bring out the red in his color more good luck

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Human grade shrimp, krill, clam, muscles, fish etc...
If you are feeding a floating food, chances are the fish is sucking in air as well as the food you are offering.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store