Arapaima...

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
No one I have talked to has yet to have a big enough tank house a pirarucu , they usually die before 1/4 of their natural life span is up, if your lucky you may get to 1/3 of its life span. How big are all your tanks? I am sort of thinking 10,000g's or bigger. So why keep a fish to have it die that quickly?

kit

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
northern VA
ashdavid said:
No one I have talked to has yet to have a big enough tank house a pirarucu , they usually die before 1/4 of their natural life span is up, if your lucky you may get to 1/3 of its life span. How big are all your tanks? I am sort of thinking 10,000g's or bigger. So why keep a fish to have it die that quickly?
They are around 6" right now and in the 125g for now.. I'm in process of getting a 1000g. With the 1000g they should be ok in there for the next 2-3 years and after that who know there alway the zoo for them or who know I might get a bigger tank for them... I'm totally aware of what I'm getting into.

Tim

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
I dont want to sound critical but I have a 1850g acylic tank and I would not even cosider that big enough, sure you could give it to the zoo, but they are already over crowed with red tails and other gaint fish that stupid lfs's sell to people who haven't got a hope of providing a sutible tank for them. How often do you see people put dogs on a chain in a 8' by 8' yard for all of their lives, when you do hear of it, it is usually b/c of crulty to animals. I am not trying to go on any crusade or anything, I just believe buying a fish without the intent to see it through to the end of its natural life is wrong, and most fish given an adequate tank will live longer than in the wild. So why is it that pirarucu's are so hard to keep at 5' or bigger, its b/c the tanks are way too small.

kit

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
northern VA
Ashdavid,

Do not worry if they get too big for my tank and if I decide to keep them I can always build a indoor pond for them....... I migh be the next/first Mr. 10,000G man....lol....

Tim

ashdavid

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2005
Japan
I really hope you do,again I am sorry for sounding critical.

kit

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
northern VA
ashdavid said:
I really hope you do,again I am sorry for sounding critical.

it ok Ashdavid... come to think of it.. keeping any kind of pets .... no matter how big is the tanks, cases or whatever ... nothing is big enough anyway.....

Tim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store