Best place to position a fluidized bed filter.

Tokay

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
About to add a fluidized bed filter to my 220 setup. Before i begin to mount it up i was wondering were the best place to put it would be. At first i was going to tap it into the return line from sump. But i was thinking maybe it would run more efficent if i taped it into the same line for my UV sterilizer that recieves water from a pump in the bottom of the tank. Being that my two drains and return are level with the top of the water, maybe it would cycle the entire tank as well. Or Does it really not matter because it will all cycle through sooner or later? thanks

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
I would allocate a seperate supply line for any filter but especially for a FBF. Seperate supply does not have to mean separate pump since a T and tap may do. The seperate supply line means you can keep the filter running in isolation if you ever need to medicate or break down the tank. The main reason I would dedicate a seperate supply for a FBF is because you will need to tweak the waterflow. Too fast a flow will blow all your media out. The dissolved oxygen level in water exiting any bio-filter will be lower so that may be a factor in your filtration design. 

Tokay

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Thanks alot for the info. Going to run a small pump from the bottom of my tank to a Hang on Life gard FBF 600 then to a UV sterilizer and back into the tank. Im guessing my 220 doesn't need the full amount of sand, being that its rated for a 600 gallon. And i would prob need a strong pump to move all that sand. Might just keep adding sand to a reach a good level. Thanks again

Tokay

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Ended up running a small powerhead from the bottom of the tank, to the FBF hanging on the side, then to the UV sterilizer and back into the tank. I put a check valve because when i was setting it up, i shut off the power once or twice and a reverse syphon started sucking the sand the wrong way. Clogging the tube and i had to remove and clean.

Since the FBF was rated for a 600 gallon i didn't add as much media, also because i didn't think my small pump would be able to move it all. To keep the media from going in the tank i have to nearly turn the valve all the way off on the FBF. Im not sure if my sand media is to fine or what becasue its only like 15% on and sand half way up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store