birchirs with Severum

carcrazy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Fisher Branch, Manitoba, Canada
I agree. The endli bichir and the oscars will be transfered to my 270g tank when I have set up the filtration for it (ultima II 2000 shared with a 320g). I wanted to grow them out a little before I added them with my pbass which are about 10" (I didn't want expensive feeders).

The goldfish has been doing well for over a year now, even though the temp may be a little high for him (78). He eats well and looks healthy so I guess he's gotten used to the tank.

willie_peeps

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2006
Arkansas
I have kept Bichurs and Severums for years together. Along with plecs are my absolute favorites fish. No problems at all with the combination even when severums spawning.

graylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2023
Would I be able to put a severum or oscar either two Senegal bichirs and if so at what size should the Senegals be before I add these fish?

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
Would I be able to put a severum or oscar either two Senegal bichirs and if so at what size should the Senegals be before I add these fish?
You can put a small severum with them right now. As for an oscar, I'd wait until the bichirs are about 6 inches, and then get a small 3-inch oscar with them (oscars grow fast). You have to be careful with the oscar, though, because it can out-compete the bichirs for food. Also, the oscar may outgrow the 75 gallon tank you have whereas a severum can be kept in there for life.

Reactions: graylizard

graylizard

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2023
Ok do Severums have to be in groups. And what size should the bichirs be before I put a severum in? Will severums attack plants? And for the Oscar, will they attack plants? What kind of severums would you recommend?

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
Ok do Severums have to be in groups. And what size should the bichirs be before I put a severum in? Will severums attack plants? And for the Oscar, will they attack plants? What kind of severums would you recommend?
I've tried this fish in groups be it two of the same gender all the up to a group of five of the same gender. They always fought, and this was in a 300 gallon. If you try a male/female pair, if they pair up romantically, they will take over your entire 75 gallon tank and kill their tankmates when spawning. They become hyper-aggressive during these periods.

I would get one severum with your bichirs. If you want to add another fish with your severum, you could try a leopard ctenopoma. They are peaceful as long as you buy them small and grow them up on flakes, pellets, and frozen. Feeders will increase their aggression in the ctenopoma. If you'd rather get something different than a ctenopoma, a black ghost knifefish also works with severums and senegal bichirs if you get the knife larger than the bichirs. Be sure to keep the bichirs well fed, and never give them feeders so they don't nip at your knife. If you want to add motion in the tank, you could add a dozen congo tetras or a group of roseline sharks for mid-dwelling fish, and maybe five to six yo-yo loaches or polka-dot loaches.

As for your other questions, it doesn't matter when you put the severum with the bichirs. You can put them in at the same time or one then the other. Any severum subspecies will work, so do an internet search on the different variants of severums, see how they look when they are adults (they color up as they grow), and choose the one you prefer.

Last edited:
Reactions: graylizard
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store