Bowfin eating habits

ksiaquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
I was feeding earthworms to the larger of my bowfin yesterday, which is kept outside in a 40 gallon livestock tank (temporarily). I got this little fella when he was about 4" long and he is now about 7 to 9" in length. I dropped the earthworm in and peered down into the water to see if he ate it. A few seconds elapsed then I saw him easing up to within about 3" of the worm then suddenly nailed it! He shook that worm like a dog shaking a ragdoll, bit it into several pieces then leisurely picked each piece up and ate it. Really cool, viscous stuff! Then he did two more the same way. Have to make a mental note to myself to NOT put my fingers in the water.

I've also got about 25 young bowfin, about 1" to 1.5" in length, in a 300 gallon stocktank. These will devour 6 frozen bloodworm cubes in under 2 minutes, twice a day! Even at this young age, they're very aggressive. Also quite curious as they will come up to the surface and hang there looking at me when I sit down next to the tank to watch them.

Chip in SC

sabotage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Outside Philly
I have a 5 incher and he wasnt very aggressive, but now that he is getting older he's becoming nasty.. I feed mine krill, feeders and black worms..Good luck wit urs.....

ksiaquatics

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
The TRUST said:
Careful. They are aggressive to each other and CANNIBALISTIC! I had a bunch of baby bowfins once anout 3". Started off with 15. in a week I was left with 3. they tore each other to shreds and ate each other as well.
That's why I'm keeping them well fed for now. I'm feeding them twice a day and keeping a close eye on them. Within the next week or two, I'll have to remove the smaller ones to a separate tank.

Chip

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
They will also eat canned catfood and damn near everthing else. Hmmm, wish I could try large bowfin in tank with same size snakehead.

GTS

Candiru
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Tampa,Fl
Yes bowfin are get very nasty as they age. However they are always nasty towards each other no matter how big they are.

Hum maybe I need to go collect some. I have never kept one over 15" before. The florida record was a 40" one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store