Breeding Champsochromis

Dykemyster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2005
Hi, does anyone here have experience in breeding Champsochromis? I plan on putting approx. (12) in a 190g (7ft long x 20" wide x 22" tall) and seeing what happens. I have heard that when they get mature that aggression can be a major problem as in dominant male killing the female(s).

I was thinking if I keep all (12) that maybe with the number of fish I could snuff some of the crazy aggression but I have never heard of a Champ breeder doing this. I do assume that (12) might be too many further down the road but I am still thinking about keeping as many as I can for as long as I can.

Any experience shared in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
just speculation, but I doubt breeding them would be any different from Nimbochromis...

You could try stocking the tank with a lots of large objects to break off their line of sight, allowing the beaten ones some reasonable means of refuge.

You could try using a divider; separate the male(s), let the dominant one build up a sexual appetite from across the screen, and then let him out on short, monitored visits with the females.

Who's your supplier for this species?

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
very nice p45
what do these look like

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
nice

get alot of rock work and drift wood
good luck

Rui

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2005
Calgary, Canada
Big Haps are fairly easy and reliable spawners. I was breeding Tyranochromis nirgerventer, and had no problems. 10" male, 6" females (lots of them), plus 2 other smaller males to take a beating.

My tank just had a large piece of driftwood in the middle, and one of those fairly large fake plants that kind of float around. Tank was only 100 gallon 4' tank (very wide, though I don't remember how wide exactly).

Grow them up, give them a high grade pellet, and that is pretty much all you need. I never fed them any bloodworms, brine, or any other frozen fish or human food, just pellets. Secret is to get a lot of females, since not all the females will breed. Out of the 11 or so females, I had 4 good breeders, 2 1x breeders, and some 0 breeders.

I would wish you luck, but you won't need it :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store