Breeding puffer food

Jread002

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2019
Got a 2.5" fahaka coming next week. I was thinking of breeding the small nuisance snails that u always see at the pet store. My question is if I go to a pet store, which most around me are not the greatest, to get a bunch of snails to start breeding with do I have to worry about them being sick, infected, or just bad in anyway when I put them in a 10g to breed. I don't want to make my puffer sick from bad snails. Is there any methods or recommendations to make sure the snails are clean and healthy for him. Or am I just way over thinking this lol.

Also I know the puffer will probably only be eating these snails for 3 or 4 months before he grows out of them but I figured it might be fun for me and my son to breed some in the basement

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Snails are vectors for some parasites, but I’m pretty sure even those require other organisms (like birds) to complete their life cycle…or I’m making that up.
I wouldn’t worry too much about that end, if you get them breeding at home, the new generations shouldn’t have any issues the adults do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store