Buenos Aires tetras fin color

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
It’s almost impossible to find pictures on google to match, but one of my Buenos Aires has yellow fins instead of red. It acts and otherwise looks completely normal. Is this common or is he one of a kind. I think others in the store had yellow fins as well when I got him, but this was over a year ago so I barely remember.
image.jpgSorry about the reflection but you can see him next to a normal one.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
It’s almost impossible to find pictures on google to match, but one of my Buenos Aires has yellow fins instead of red. It acts and otherwise looks completely normal. Is this common or is he one of a kind. I think others in the store had yellow fins as well when I got him, but this was over a year ago so I barely remember.
View attachment 1438422Sorry about the reflection but you can see him next to a normal one.
Possibly female or lowest male in rank.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Figured I’d revive this now that it’s getting older. Going on over 4.5 years.
Seems like the others have started picking on it (more than they already have) so it may be a matter of time before something finishes the job.
I’m, not sure if this is due to the color variant or dominance, but it never got the same size as the red ones.
IMG_1071.jpegIMG_1070.jpegIMG_1068.jpegIMG_1067.jpeg
Not my best pictures, but I might as well immortalize it in this thread and show off this coloration.

tetroid

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2009
Salish Sea
I once received a batch of tiny black darter tetras and noticed one with a crooked spine. I assumed it would die in a few days but it grew to full size and became the dominant one, still with the crooked spine. Maybe it's like that Johnny Cash song "A Boy Named Sue". The odd one out just tries harder.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I've seen yellow or faded fin Buenos Aires Tetras mixed in with standard ones displayed at my LFS.
I think Buenos Aires Tetras are bred in captivity not typically wild caught.
Even at today's inflated prices they still cost $1.99 in my area. Doesn't reflect the cost of a wild caught species.
I think the yellow finnage is simply a generic oddity.
Great job keeping the yellow fin up & running for nearly five years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store