Burbot temperature

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I have one that came through the ice while fishing a couple months ago, and after a fairly arduous and painstaking process of temperature acclimation the fish seems to now be doing well at temps in the mid-50F range. Excellent appetite and colour; settled in and not really "exploring" much anymore, at least not during lights-on, so not the wonderful display I had hoped for. Despite having only a medium-sized mouth and not much in the way of dentition, all tankmates I have tried, up to about 5 inches in length, just...disappear overnight.

I am anxiously watching the temperatures as summer approaches; won't know for a few more months how cool I can maintain them, and how well the fish will fare. People will often comment that they found such-and-such a fish in waters of so-and-so temperatures, assuming this means that those conditions will be perfect for the fish's life...when in reality the fish may be struggling to survive a short spell of extremes while waiting for more ideal conditions to return.

Fish live in nature; nature presents varying conditions, temperature and otherwise, through the course of a year. Keeping a fish alive for a few days or weeks doesn't really tell us much about what it requires for long-term health.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Theres a member here who tank raises them… not sure if its for food production or what not. No mention of chillers even for his brood stocks. This species is also “farmed” by others so i dont think the temps need to be as cold as majority may think. As always… only one way to find out.
Heres a cple pics from the member here. No update tho sadly on his project.
BB0EE492-A54E-4553-BC07-EF68157368F8.jpegBA264520-DFA8-4672-B3D4-C914DB320367.jpeg

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Theres a member here who tank raises them… not sure if its for food production or what not. No mention of chillers even for his brood stocks. This species is also “farmed” by others so i dont think the temps need to be as cold as majority may think. As always… only one way to find out.
Heres a cple pics from the member here. No update tho sadly on his project.
View attachment 1518045View attachment 1518046
I remember that thread; it blew me away when I first saw it, and those pics still impress me now. I tried checking back on it a few times and it seems that the guy joined up, posted on it and then vanished.

Of course, I can't even find my own threads half the time, so...:)

• Haha
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I remember that thread; it blew me away when I first saw it, and those pics still impress me now. I tried checking back on it a few times and it seems that the guy joined up, posted on it and then vanished.

Of course, I can't even find my own threads half the time, so...:)
Saw u asked for an update on that thread not too long ago. Was disappointed to not hear back from him also. Hopefully one of these days we do. If not, u’ll have ur own knowledge on the subject through the year here lol…

Reactions: jjohnwm

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
Channa argus originally comes from Russia. They lived here 60 years ago, but then most of the fish got caught up and the rest disappeared.
Bowfins live here only in one private pond as curiosity.
I meant I’ve heard of burbot being caught in the alps, it’s cool you have snakehead.

SLS_23

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2018
Czech Republic
In this tank i want snakehead-Channa argus too(until it grow up). But i never saw this species for sale here and now they dont live here.

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
In this tank i want snakehead-Channa argus too(until it grow up). But i never saw this species for sale here and now they dont live here.
Having snakehead and burbot in tank together is not a very good idea...

and you don't even meet the oxygen requirements for burbot and the temperature requirements .

SLS_23

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2018
Czech Republic
Having snakehead and burbot in tank together is not a very good idea...

and you don't even meet the oxygen requirements for burbot and the temperature requirements .
Snakehead will be there(only if i could get some) only until 30cm. I never saw it for sale here.

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
Snakehead will be there(only if i could get some) only until 30cm. I never saw it for sale here.
Maybe in eastern parts of europe you could find it but now it is very difficult to go there.This species of snakehead i dont see often.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store