Burjuquina vittata

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Anyone kept these or have any knowledge about them? Finding it rather difficult to find any real info on them in a Google search. I'm about to change up my 125gal (6ft) to a SA community, moving over my current mix from my 75 - angelfish, bolivians, german rams, and diamond tetras. Was hoping to add another mid sized cichlid to the mix...was originally wanting Geos but I don't want to deal with the fuss since they can be finicky and have aggression issues amongst them when they mature. I found Burjuquina vittata on a stock list and am interested, but having a hard time getting enough info online to decide if they're a good option for me.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Anyone kept these or have any knowledge about them? Finding it rather difficult to find any real info on them in a Google search. I'm about to change up my 125gal (6ft) to a SA community, moving over my current mix from my 75 - angelfish, bolivians, german rams, and diamond tetras. Was hoping to add another mid sized cichlid to the mix...was originally wanting Geos but I don't want to deal with the fuss since they can be finicky and have aggression issues amongst them when they mature. I found Burjuquina vittata on a stock list and am interested, but having a hard time getting enough info online to decide if they're a good option for me.
Definitely rare
Imperial Tropical has them. You may want to reach out to them.
duanes duanes
neutrino neutrino
Kevin@TUIC Kevin@TUIC

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Excellent. No aggressive tendencies I'd have to be TOO concerned about, with the delicate angelfish fins or the small German rams?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I kept 3x of these fish for around 2-3 years. Ordered from TUIC under old management. They were in my mixed up community tank with severums, EBA, various pimelodus cats, threadfin acara, chalceus among other random fish. They grew but never really thrived, never saw them in the intense colors you frequently see advertised but rather a dull yellowish tan. I think this was probably due to the larger more boisterous tankmates dominating the tank, and my very hard source water most likely had a role as well. I was not very attentive to their particular needs and . Despite this, one stayed with me for 2-3 years until he disappeared, most likely devoured by scavengers after a squabble with other cichlids.
20180529_112348.jpg
This might sound like a callous assessment to some, but id like to add that they did teach me a lot about the specific needs of exotic, wild caught fish.

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Okay, I think they'll be a good fit in my much more peaceful set up then. Plus my water is suited to them - very soft, part of the reason I decided to really make an effort on a decent SA communty tank. Thanks.

Mazan

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2022
I recently found the same lack of information on Bujurquina. About 8 months ago I was given 5 tiny ones, about an inch long. Not B. vittata, but an Ecuadorian species, probably undescribed, a friend was working temporarily in the Amazon region and collected a few (I am also in Ecuador, but in the Andes). I believe they have interesting breeding behaviour., but not sure if all species are the same in this respect. At that time I had a group,of baby Guianacaras of the same size so I kept the Bujurquinas with them, and they are still together, along with some Abramites and Hemiodus, but as all the fish have grown, and the Guianacaras have started to breed, it’s getting crowded and I am trying to work out how best to juggle the fish around to give the 4 Bujurquinas more space (one died while still very tiny). I can’t tell if there might be a pair among them.
6060A78C-B8A7-48A2-8894-1CF92EC4B1F9.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Since the genus Burjurquina was only separated from Aequidens in 1986, "you know" how painstakingly long it takes some in the aquarium hobby to catch up, or accept changes in taxonomy, its no surprise, you might need to look under Aequidens paraguayensis..
I know people who still call Parachromis, Cichlasoma,
or many Amatitlania, Archocentrus.

Reactions: Mazan

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Ha! I'll give that a try, see if I can get any better results. Thanks.

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
Well I just officially ordered and paid for 10 x 1.5-2" vittata (all that he had) and they should be here this weekend, so here goes nothing!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store