Can Mono live in fresh water?

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
Hi, i have just got 2 monos the shop told me they have been converted to fresh water. But i check online, as they grow they may need brackish water. I have 2 senegallus also. Can they live together? Thx guys
The first time I ever saw monos was way back in the 1960s at FW tropical fish store in Barcelona. Back then saltwater was novel concept. He had 2 small tanks that he set aside for saltwater. He used old tech UG filers with narrow uplift tubes as the only means of filtration. In one tank he had clowfish. In the other he had monos, and he made it quite clear to everyone that they were saltwater fish. The monos in SW looked very healthy with this low tech system.
It was only later on that I found out that monos can tolerate lower salinities and even FW, but In my experience, they are much healthier in the higher salinity range. I would not recommend keeping them in FW, and if you keep them in brackish, I would err toward full strength Marine.

Reactions: qldmick

Mbargas

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2016
Hi, i have just got 2 monos the shop told me they have been converted to fresh water. But i check online, as they grow they may need brackish water. I have 2 senegallus also. Can they live together? Thx guys
The first time I ever saw monos was way back in the 1960s at FW tropical fish store in Barcelona. Back then saltwater was novel concept. He had 2 small tanks that he set aside for saltwater. He used old tech UG filers with narrow uplift tubes as the only means of filtration. In one tank he had clowfish. In the other he had monos, and he made it quite clear to everyone that they were saltwater fish. The monos in SW looked very healthy with this low tech system.
It was only later on that I found out that monos can tolerate lower salinities and even FW, but In my experience, they are much healthier in the higher salinity range. I would not recommend keeping them in FW, and if you keep them in brackish, I would err toward full strength Marine.

Fish rescue

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2023
beautiful mono fish need med density brackish water 0.010 , 100% they will be very stressed in fresh water , moderately stressed in full marine water %100 , 1 bucket of instant ocean sea salt will make 300 perfect gallons of multi haline fish water

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store