Check out my new sunfish tank.

GolemGolem

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
AR
Started on it a few weeks ago, just caught the sunfish a couple days ago. Thought a minnow trap would work, but couldn't even get it to work for minnow. Tried bread, crackers, dogfood, hotdogs, worms suspended in the middle of the trap with pipe cleaners....tried making a DIY one outta an old bottle...tried using both at once..would often find schools of the bastards hanging out right outside of my traps. After two weeks of attempts I had caught one dead bullfrog tadpole, but I did get some mosquito fish and other minnows from filling my bucket at the shoreline.
Time for something new, I bought my first cast net, watched some youtube, and went out the next day and caught a half dozen in a half hour. Best guess is most of them are orange spot sunfish. Still washed out, but had bright blue heads when captured. Shy, they like to stay stacked up under their bush in the dimmest corner of their tank, but they ventured out for a few blood worms last night, I expect the minnow population to start declining quickly, but has not happened yet.

Cadillac15

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2018
Love it! A native tank with sunfish is a future tank I have planned for after the Oscars die (still have a lot of years left with them if nothing goes wrong).

Reactions: GolemGolem

vosen30

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2022
There was just something so beautiful about your thought. In the future, I will follow up on this matter.

Reactions: GolemGolem
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store