Chip in Corner of Acryllic

wesb2013

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2019
Is this chip just aesthetic, or will it end up being a problem?

I'm about to set up a used 225, and figured I should ask before I fill it up and regret not asking. The chip is abut 2/3 of the way down the tank. It does not go through all the way on the display side. On the left side the chip goes almost to the seam. (The blue stuff is remnants of an old paint job that I removed when I bought this.)

If it's just aesthetic, I wont worry about it. But if it's not, I suppose I should get a 1/2" square rod and adhere it to the inside with weld-on 40, right?

wednesday13 wednesday13 I read several of your threads on this topic, and learned a lot already. Thanks for all the info you've given!

20240325_003443.jpg20240325_003633.jpg20240325_003459.jpg20240325_003446.jpg20240325_003437.jpg20240325_003810.jpg20240325_003609.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: AR1 and kno4te

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Its pretty hairy lookin lol… appears to be a decent seal left there tho surprisingly. The crazing on the side panel is a bit odd. Looks like someone reglued it with #40 but theres no glue there. Heat from the glue makes those marks.
I agree, it can be chaulked up to “cosmetic”…
Personally id use tape or polypropylene to damn off the chip and fill it in with #40. That and sanding/buffing will make it look like it was never there. If you dont mind the looks of it. A square rod or a fillet of 40 on the inside will reinforce it for peace of mind.
All depends how much work you want to put into it. Everything else looks pretty nice on it. Id def. Fill in the chip just for the aesthetic. A pint of 40 is around $35, well worth it.

Reactions: kno4te

wesb2013

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2019
Its pretty hairy lookin lol… appears to be a decent seal left there tho surprisingly. The crazing on the side panel is a bit odd. Looks like someone reglued it with #40 but theres no glue there. Heat from the glue makes those marks.
I agree, it can be chaulked up to “cosmetic”…
Personally id use tape or polypropylene to damn off the chip and fill it in with #40. That and sanding/buffing will make it look like it was never there. If you dont mind the looks of it. A square rod or a fillet of 40 on the inside will reinforce it for peace of mind.
All depends how much work you want to put into it. Everything else looks pretty nice on it. Id def. Fill in the chip just for the aesthetic. A pint of 40 is around $35, well worth it.

Do you think putting in an acrylic rod is even necessary since the seam is still in tact?

Here's the backstory if you're interested:

I bought it from someone off of craigslist 6-7 years ago. It was in pretty rough shape with several deep scratches, and a bad "saltwater blue" paint job on three sides. Turns out he bought it second hand from someone, and was going to set it up. But after 5 years in his garage he never got around to it and his wife told him he had to get rid of it by the following weekend. I bought it for $100.

When I bought it, I was still in college, and lived in a small apartment that had no room for it (the tank is longer than any wall in that apartment). Thus it stayed in my parent's garage for a couple more years until I bought a house. I spent probably 100 hours sanding all the scratches out, and used rubbing alcohol to remove the old paint job. Afterwards, I did a leak test in my parents garage where it held water for 6 months before I drained it and moved it to my new house. It sat empty in my basement for 4 years now while I wait to finish / remodel my basement. As of two weeks ago the basement is completely finished and now everything is ready to set up.

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Do you think putting in an acrylic rod is even necessary since the seam is still in tact?

Here's the backstory if you're interested:

I bought it from someone off of craigslist 6-7 years ago. It was in pretty rough shape with several deep scratches, and a bad "saltwater blue" paint job on three sides. Turns out he bought it second hand from someone, and was going to set it up. But after 5 years in his garage he never got around to it and his wife told him he had to get rid of it by the following weekend. I bought it for $100.

When I bought it, I was still in college, and lived in a small apartment that had no room for it (the tank is longer than any wall in that apartment). Thus it stayed in my parent's garage for a couple more years until I bought a house. I spent probably 100 hours sanding all the scratches out, and used rubbing alcohol to remove the old paint job. Afterwards, I did a leak test in my parents garage where it held water for 6 months before I drained it and moved it to my new house. It sat empty in my basement for 4 years now while I wait to finish / remodel my basement. As of two weeks ago the basement is completely finished and now everything is ready to set up.
No, i dont think the acrylic rod inside is necessary. Personally I’d just fill the outside chip with #40, sand it flush and buff it clear. If you buffed the rest of the tank u should be able to handle the chip repair easy enough.
Getting paint off the sides with alcohol explains the crazing marks. At the least id put some corner trim on the chip just to hide it… im usually not one for aesthetics but that bothers me for some reason 😂. The stand and rest of the room look nice, prob y.

wesb2013

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2019
No, i dont think the acrylic rod inside is necessary. Personally I’d just fill the outside chip with #40, sand it flush and buff it clear. If you buffed the rest of the tank u should be able to handle the chip repair easy enough.
Getting paint off the sides with alcohol explains the crazing marks. At the least id put some corner trim on the chip just to hide it… im usually not one for aesthetics but that bothers me for some reason 😂. The stand and rest of the room look nice, prob y.

The stand turned out *nearly* excellent. I made it 2-3 years ago thinking my basement would be finished in a timely matter. About a year later I realized I only had 2" of clearance above my sump. I called a last minute audible a month ago and decided to knock out the bottom and raise it up 10". Now I have to lift my 75g sump over a 10" lip to get it in and out - not something I plan on doing very often (hopefully never), but it's a pain.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
The stand turned out *nearly* excellent. I made it 2-3 years ago thinking my basement would be finished in a timely matter. About a year later I realized I only had 2" of clearance above my sump. I called a last minute audible a month ago and decided to knock out the bottom and raise it up 10". Now I have to lift my 75g sump over a 10" lip to get it in and out - not something I plan on doing very often (hopefully never), but it's a pain.
That kind of stuff always comes back to haunt you yrs later, smart move… have alot of sumps/stands i did in my 20’s i highly highly regret now pushing 40 😂🤦‍♂️… cant move around on the ground like i used too lol…

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store