chlorine tolerant fish

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
are there anymore fish which are strong enough to survive from chlorine?
here, I dont mean to put the fish in the contaminated water right away, but sometimes we just may not realize what we do before the fish suffers and dies.
in my experience so far, I know plecos, bichirs, and oscar, do you know anymore?

perpetualdejavu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
ohio
GarNiac;3475394; said:
are there anymore fish which are strong enough to survive from chlorine?
here, I dont mean to put the fish in the contaminated water right away, but sometimes we just may not realize what we do before the fish suffers and dies.
in my experience so far, I know plecos, bichirs, and oscar, do you know anymore?
You are using a dechlorinator before you add water right? It will neutralize it no matter the concentration of chlorine pretty much in an instant.

johncl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2008
USA
I may be wrong but I was under the impression that the chlorine doesn't bother the fish. It kills the BB and that's why we use dechlorinator.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
John, where are you getting the observation chlorine doesn't bother the fish? Chlorine may not be toxic to humans but it certainly is to fish. It can burn their skin and gill tissues which is exactly why we use dechlorinator to prevent such issues.

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
chlorine does kill your fish, even tap water with chlorine can also burn your eyes; thats is how bad the water quality in my home area; the cheap efficient way that I do, is storing the water over night or more before I use it. There was a time where all my fish except my plecos died in tank caused of the chlorine. I am just wandering if there are other fish which are strong enough to tolerate chlorine other than what I mentioned above, and thats why I posted this tread.
cheers

sostoudt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
va
in my opinion chlorine isnt good for any fish. however most larger fish will be able to tolerate it to some extent, i.e. not die right away. also depending on the ppm(varies by location) it may not even kill them, so they may seem to be unaffected but still be in distress.
even if they live in the chlorine, they may die from ammonia if the chlorine kills the bacteria in the filter.

edit: chlorinated tap water may not seem to kill fish as rapidily as you have read in older books, as the concentration is now lower since the invention of chloramine. chloramine is much more stable and wont evaporate like chlorine. so less can be used to keep the water clean because you dont have to take evaporation into account. but as said it doesnt mean its safe.

as you can see theres alot of possibilities about the actual level of chlorine actually in your water. some water treatment centers may not even use chlorine(chance yours doesnt is probably very slim). so if something works for one person, it may not work for another that is miles away. to be safe you should always dechlorinate(make sure it works on chloramines too).

Addikted2Cichlids

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 13, 2009
Northern Italy
Its not an issue of which fish are strong enough, it shouldnt be done.. Just because a fish may survive doesn't mean its not suffering from the contaminated water.. Buy some dechlorinator and keep your fish happy, don't try to find fish that wont die but will suffer, beause you don't want to spend $5..

sostoudt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
va
GarNiac;3476057; said:
chlorine does kill your fish, even tap water with chlorine can also burn your eyes; thats is how bad the water quality in my home area; the cheap efficient way that I do, is storing the water over night or more before I use it. There was a time where all my fish except my plecos died in tank caused of the chlorine. I am just wandering if there are other fish which are strong enough to tolerate chlorine other than what I mentioned above, and thats why I posted this tread.
cheers
bass perhaps sunfish are the other extremely tolerant ones i can think.

garniac if your water treatment center uses chlorinamines, that wont evaporate over the night. if they use chlorine you can hasten the process by adding a air pump or boiling it.

but water dechlorinators are pretty cheap, prime(100ml bottle) is like 4 dollars and it treats a 1000 gallons. it does it instantly too.

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
reading your comments make me sick really, did you even read my post in the beginning, I never meant to put any fish in a jeopardy, nor that I poison them. I am just willing to know if accident should happen than your fish too will die caused of this chlorine. Dont reply if you dont understand my questions, otherwise we will start argue each other. Of course I will put dechlorinator after the water change, I am just saying that some fish do have tendency to survive even from a bad water. But again even though those fish survive ffrom chlorine, still I wouldnt risk it, otherwise what you buy is a dead fish!!!! so if dont know any of the answer dont bother replying this tread!!
The question was whether there are anyfish could survive from a bad tap water (chlorinated)?I see someone answered it already, so its most big fish could handle chlorine rite?

GarNiac

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2009
SE Asia
sostoudt;3476089; said:
bass perhaps sunfish are the other extremely tolerant ones i can think.

garniac if your water treatment center uses chlorinamines, that wont evaporate over the night. if they use chlorine you can hasten the process by adding a air pump or boiling it.

but water dechlorinators are pretty cheap, prime(100ml bottle) is like 4 dollars and it treats a 1000 gallons. it does it instantly too.
thanks sostoudt, I forgot to mention most of the time I keep the water more than 2 days before I use them, so far its OK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store